Lavender shredding gene

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
How soon can you tell if a lavender (self blue) has a shredder gene? I'm assuming mine all do, but I want to make surebefore I move extras along that I'm not getting rid of possible nonshredded.

What color would be best to use to make splits? I'm assuming black? These are bantam Cochins

Thankfully I don't have a really bad problem with it, so I'm not much help. I've seen photos of birds as young as three months with it that look terrible but I'm not sure how quickly it would pop up in something like Cochins.
I'll get pictures of my boys and girls after classes. They're about 4 weeks now (maybe 5?) And it's a definate difference to me between the male's and females and compared to every other bird. But I was knowing to look for it too, so they might stand out more to me because of that.

Yes they do. They don't show the wing patch like the males.
That's one thing that people don't understand and if they do they get really frustrated about.
It's like girls can be carriers and pass it to males later.

How soon can you tell if a lavender (self blue) has a shredder gene? I'm assuming mine all do, but I want to make surebefore I move extras along that I'm not getting rid of possible nonshredded.

What color would be best to use to make splits? I'm assuming black? These are bantam Cochins
It’s a learning morning. I got curious about the scientific basis of the ‘split’ gene and my ‘scientist’ husband, who does a lot genetic research stuff was right on it. He likes it when he can contribute legitimate input to my crazy feathered obsessions. 😄

(He didn’t delve into it, but said the papers are definitely out there - more schooling saved for another day)

Back
Top Bottom