Genetics question on breeding Cochins

CochinFancy

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
Hello all

I am set up to breed Cochins. I have two roosters, a mottled and a lemon splash. My mottled carries black, some blue somewhere and mottled. My lemon splash carries all sorts of weird colors. He assumably carries buff and blue, but when I bred him to a lemon blue bird from his same breeding program I ended up with lavenders.

I am aware I don’t want to breed blacks to my mottled rooster because it will make splits. I bred the mottled to a blue hen and ended up with blacks, a blue and a blue mottled. I want to breed all of them to the lemon splash.

Here’s my question, good idea or bad idea? My goal is to get showable colors. My hope would be to get blues and splashes.

I would take blacks, I’m thinking black would be the dominant color and I would have mostly blacks? Any thoughts?

If your lemon splash carries all sorts of weird colors and you want to breed for showable colors why would you use those and bring all that into the mix?
If you want blues and splashes I'd stick with rebreeding you mottled rooster with the blue hen and then continue breeding the non mottled offspring.

Hello all

I am set up to breed Cochins. I have two roosters, a mottled and a lemon splash. My mottled carries black, some blue somewhere and mottled. My lemon splash carries all sorts of weird colors. He assumably carries buff and blue, but when I bred him to a lemon blue bird from his same breeding program I ended up with lavenders.

I am aware I don’t want to breed blacks to my mottled rooster because it will make splits. I bred the mottled to a blue hen and ended up with blacks, a blue and a blue mottled. I want to breed all of them to the lemon splash.

Here’s my question, good idea or bad idea? My goal is to get showable colors. My hope would be to get blues and splashes.

I would take blacks, I’m thinking black would be the dominant color and I would have mostly blacks? Any thoughts?
If your mottled is giving blue offspring when bred to black, he's not black. Black birds cannot carry blue without being blue

Back
Top Bottom