1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lavender & Silkied "Fluffy" Ameraucana Project Hatching Eggs Mixed Dozen + Extras

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by NicoleRM, Jan 15, 2012.

  1. NicoleRM

    NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

    340
    1
    141
    Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    This listing is NOT an auction, and the price includes shipping! Please just PM if you are interested.


    I have a mixed dozen (plus extras!) of eggs from these two projects available! The eggs will be bubble wrapped individually and shipped well-padded in a styrofoam-insulated double box. As per usual with hatching eggs, I can't be responsible for actions of the post office or variations in incubation technique, so only fertility is guaranteed, not hatch rate.


    For the silkied project:

    More information on this project can be found in this thread.

    First, for some genetics information:

    1. The hookless gene that gives the fluffy or silked feathers is a simple recessive trait, and my original flock (see note!) were two pairs of splits (F1s).
    2. Breeding F1 to F1 results in the following genetic probability for each chick: 25% chance of being silkied, 50% chance of being a smooth-feathered split, and 25% chance of being a normal smooth-feathered Ameraucana.
    3. You CANNOT tell by any means other than test mating which of the smooth-feathered chicks are splits and which are normal Ameraucanas from an F1 x F1 mating.
    4. Breeding a silkied bird to an F1 results in a 50/50 chance of silkied vs smooth, with all smooth birds being splits.
    5. Obviously, I cannot guarantee that you will hatch silkied chicks from these eggs. 25% or 50% are pretty good odds but we all know how hatching eggs can be.


    My current flock (see note!) consists of a splash silkied rooster over two splash hens and two blue hens, so you would hatch blues and splashes. The eggs will be bubble wrapped individually and shipped well-padded in a styrofoam-insulated double box. As per usual with hatching eggs, I can't be responsible for actions of the post office or variations in incubation technique, so only fertility is guaranteed, not hatch rate.

    Please note: I have recently added a new trio of birds to this project group - a silkied splash rooster has replaced my two F1 roosters and I've added two blue F1 hens. The new rooster has been here since 1/25 so I can't say for sure all eggs are fertilized by him yet, but those that are will give you double the odds of hatching silkied chicks.

    Please PM if you have any questions about these eggs or the project in general.

    For the lavenders:

    The flock consists of a lavender rooster over 3 lavender hens and two split hens. As a result, you could expect to hatch about 20% splits from these eggs if all the hens laid evenly. Lavender is not yet a recognized variety of Ameraucana and are still in the project stage. The birds are still rather fluffy and the egg color is variable but overall a nice aqua.


    If anyone is interested in trading, I am looking for the following hatching eggs from good quality stock:

    Wheaten Marans from nice dark eggs
    Wheaten Ameraucanas
    BLRW
    Silkied Seramas
    Silkies/Sizzles

    Thanks!
     
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Thespoiledchicken

    Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,553
    150
    188
    Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I sent you a pm
     
  3. billiejo21

    billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

    289
    0
    89
    Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Just wanted to say...I've got these eggs in the bator...all but one developing!! :) Packaged beautifully...great color on the eggs!
     
  4. NicoleRM

    NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

    340
    1
    141
    Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Thanks! [​IMG]
     
  5. chics in the sun

    chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

    1,920
    16
    161
    Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    They are all so pretty! I'm busy hatching out pre-orders of ducks right now, but I have subscribed to this thread and will contact you after spring break about getting a mixed batch of eggs from you, which I will pick up so we don't have to deal with the shipping. Can't wait!
     
  6. bar-ns cks

    bar-ns cks Out Of The Brooder

    46
    0
    22
    May 8, 2011
    Watkinsville, GA
    Are you crossing the Silkies and Orpingtons ? possibly 2 different projects. bar-ns cks
     
  7. NicoleRM

    NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

    340
    1
    141
    Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. This auction is for two different types of Ameraucana project eggs. There are no Silkies or Orpingtons.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by