Lavender/Split Genetics Questions??

Quote:
Thank you, that does clarify things some for me, well said.
big_smile.png
Sorry scbatz, I just wasn't putting two and two together. That's what happens when your brain is scrambled having a six month old.
tongue.png

Been there, done that! The short answer is if you have a black hen and you have a lavender roo(or vise verse) and you are only getting black chicks, you do not have a "split". All the offspring of the cross however, IS "split" If you are getting both lav and black chicks, then your black adult is "split".

I don't know if anyone else is having this, but I have noticed that some of my offspring from a similar mating are bleeding through lavender. Sometimes, black orps will show some white feathering in their first set and it disappears after molt into adult feathering, but my chicks are "bleeding" lavender. It's actually very cool.

I have noticed in Cochins this occurs when the chick is carrying the Mottled gene- it makes me wonder if you're seeing it for that reason, rather than due to a Lavender bleed-through. I'm seeing some of it, as well, and I'm banding those chicks differently so I can observe whether this is the case.

Intriguing!

Quote:
Been there, done that! The short answer is if you have a black hen and you have a lavender roo(or vise verse) and you are only getting black chicks, you do not have a "split". All the offspring of the cross however, IS "split" If you are getting both lav and black chicks, then your black adult is "split".

I don't know if anyone else is having this, but I have noticed that some of my offspring from a similar mating are bleeding through lavender. Sometimes, black orps will show some white feathering in their first set and it disappears after molt into adult feathering, but my chicks are "bleeding" lavender. It's actually very cool.

I have noticed in Cochins this occurs when the chick is carrying the Mottled gene- it makes me wonder if you're seeing it for that reason, rather than due to a Lavender bleed-through. I'm seeing some of it, as well, and I'm banding those chicks differently so I can observe whether this is the case.

Intriguing!

I was thinking mottled at first but I swear the color is lavender.....my other mottleds showed white. Of course, you're probably right, I'm going to band them separately as well. Although, most are males and only one has good potential, type wise for what I'm looking to do. I'll take some pics later.

Quote:
Thank you, that does clarify things some for me, well said.
big_smile.png
Sorry scbatz, I just wasn't putting two and two together. That's what happens when your brain is scrambled having a six month old.
tongue.png

Just wait until they turn into teenagers!

Quote:

Intriguing!

I was thinking mottled at first but I swear the color is lavender.....my other mottleds showed white. Of course, you're probably right, I'm going to band them separately as well. Although, most are males and only one has good potential, type wise for what I'm looking to do. I'll take some pics later.

So, maybe those are the Mottled/Split Lavender/Split birds? Split both to the Mottled gene and the Lav gene? What fun!

Quote:

So, maybe those are the Mottled/Split Lavender/Split birds? Split both to the Mottled gene and the Lav gene? What fun!

Ok, now my head hurts. I really am no good at processing this thinking! LOL!!

I have cochins thare are mille/lavender...........therefore, they are split to mille and split to lavender. Mille rooster crossed to lavender hen.

The boys (all boys, why must they be all boys!! Grrrr) are all starting off black, then gaining a gold "leakage" around their neck and on their back....almost look birchen.

If I could ever get a darn female mille/lav, I would cross them together and try for some porcelain..............

This is what I have: Four black hens that are a result of a split black/lav rooster over split black/lav hens and possibly lav hens, can't remember for sure if there were any lavs involved in their cross? I have them with my lav rooster so when I do a hatch I get both lavenders and split black/lavs. I actually have a batch hatching as I type.
big_smile.png

The results from all three hatches that I have done for far have been different, the first was 8 blacks and 2 lavs but I believe that the eggs may still have been fertile from the black rooster where the hens originated from?? The second hatch resulted 5 lavs and 3 blacks (wouldn't you know it that 4 of those lav where boys
sad.png
) This hatch is showing stronger black this time thus far with three blacks and two lavs out, still have lots with pips though. I also find it interesting that this go round the two lavs are totally two different shades of lavender as well as the blacks are also showing different variations of black and one has a deep purple hue to it??

I was just trying to figure out if a hen produces the same thing every time or if she has the ability to produce both split black/lavs and lavenders being bred to the same rooster??? Genetics!!
barnie.gif

I will post some pictures of the chicks just as soon as they are all out and into the brooder, I just love these fluffy little guys, I mean girls.
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Yes, a Lav hen bred to a Split roo can produce different results, as can a Split hen to a Split roo or a Split hen to a Lav roo...

Here:

14596_splitlav.jpg

14596_splitsplit.jpg

You see what any 4 offspring of each pairing can be? So, it's obviously changed by success rates, but evens out to these statistics over time.

Back
Top Bottom