Lavender Sussex genetics question

Chookable

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hi, I am feeling confused and hoping someone can help. I have one lavender sussex hen and 1 lavender sussex rooster. I recently incubated 2 of their eggs. One hatched exactly as I expected; a lavender colour. The other is a completely yellow chick. There is definitely no mix up with the eggs. Does anyone know if this is normal or how this could happen or have any idea how this chick will turn out? I can't imagine that it will become lavender as it grows. The parents look like standard lavender sussex and I was told that they were initially bought from a good breeder.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I am not a genetics expert. Remember that a lot of work an different color chickens went into producing thee lavender Sussex, so one cannot bee sure what genes each bird will receive when conceived. I hope your yellow chick turns out to be very pretty and that you enjoy your time here.

Hey, thanks for replying, I'm from Sydney Australia. You're right I'm sure he/she will be pretty and I'm now so curious to see how he/she turns out. I was just so surprised to see the colour. I'm also giving some of the eggs to a friend and now not sure what to say about the genetics. I imagine that there must be some sort of issue there. So thought I'd try to get a bit more informed if I can.

I'm not familiar with the Sussex breed, but lavender + lavender usually results in only lavender. Lavender is a recessive gene and it takes 2 copes of the gene for it to show. Since both parents are lavender they both have 2 copies and therefore all chicks should also have 2 copies - 1 from mom, 1 from dad.
What color are the chick's wings feathers? Have they come in yet? My lavender chicks were pretty yellowish in color as chicks. Maybe it will be lavender once the feathers grow in. It could also be that for some reason one of the parents didn't pass on the lavender gene. I have heard of cases like this where 2 pure silkie parents have had a smooth feathered chick. It doesn't happen too often tho.
I think it's likely some kind of accident. You should breed them again and see what they produce. 2 chicks is not enough to properly know what the parents may produce.

I'm not an expert though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks, I'm definitely not an expert either but what you said is what I thought regarding the lavender gene being recessive. Both parents being lavender the chick should be too. I'm fairly sure it will be white though. I have more in the incubator already. These 2 were just to check fertility. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for replying.

Thanks, I'm definitely not an expert either but what you said is what I thought regarding the lavender gene being recessive. Both parents being lavender the chick should be too. I'm fairly sure it will be white though. I have more in the incubator already. These 2 were just to check fertility. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for replying.
No problem :)
Definitely keep us updated on how the chick is growing and what hatches out of the other eggs. I'm really interested in seeing how it goes!
Also I just now thought about this: Could it be that the parents carry recessive white? Maybe that's why the chick is white? If many more of the chicks that hatch turn out white, than it's likely the parents carry recessive white.

From my understanding, lavender is recessive but birds can also carry other recessive genes like recessive white, and they can express instead of the lavender. I'm not sure if that means the chick carries lavender or not, you'd probably have to test breed to be sure.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. I am not a genetics expert. Remember that a lot of work an different color chickens went into producing thee lavender Sussex, so one cannot bee sure what genes each bird will receive when conceived. I hope your yellow chick turns out to be very pretty and that you enjoy your time here.
we have 5 chicks from our pair of lavenders 4 lavender and one white 26 weeks old the white does not have any other colour in him

Back
Top Bottom