Lavender what???

cece119

Chirping
Mar 10, 2016
New mexico
487FD47E-B817-47D4-BAF9-35E1E486922F.jpeg
11E71972-0F61-4ADE-B11C-6F08AB1D3AFB.jpeg
when I bought these as chicks I was told they are lavender whyandott. I don’t think they are the same breed. Does anyone know? They have different combs. I know one is a roo and one is a hen.

Hello, I believe they are Blue Laced Australorpes like mine Sky and Willow.
View attachment 1251269 Sky is the top Willow is the bottom
chicken-breeds-australorp-with-help-sexing-a-blue.jpg
Her chickens have rose combs, which I have never seen on an Australorp. Unless they're cross-breeds, there's no way hers are Australorps. Also, I don't think your hens are laced--pretty sure they're solid blue. They tend to be darker around the edge of the feathers, especially when young. You have pretty girls, though.

EDT: Apparently, there are rose-comb Australorps of the heritage variety. I stand corrected by Google. But her hen is the wrong shape for an Australorp--she should be much fluffier.

View attachment 1251252 View attachment 1251253 when I bought these as chicks I was told they are lavender whyandott. I don’t think they are the same breed. Does anyone know? They have different combs. I know one is a roo and one is a hen.

I agree--they don't look much like Wyandottes. Even ignoring body-type and tail shape, Wyandottes should not have dark legs. Maybe they're the result of someone's breeding project to get blue Wyandottes? I'd guess there's Wyandotte in there because of the rose comb, but I could not begin to guess the other parentage. The hen looks a lot like my blue EE/Wyandotte cross.

I'm also pretty sure that the chickens you have are blue in color, not lavender. Blue is diluted black, and shows a similar color to lavender, but with a darker neck, like yours have. Lavender coloration is pretty even throughout the feathers and is a bit more expensive to buy than blue is.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Blue Wyandottes... definitely not lavender, they wouldn't have any lacing nor would their head area be such a darker shade, that is indicative of blue...

Hunh. Okay--I've never seen a blue without the lacing.

Blue Laced is a redundancy, blue should *always* be laced... some is more obvious, some gets washed out... depends on lines and/or breeds.... always breeding blue×blue is believed by many to cause loss of lacing, thus why breeding to specific types of blacks is recommended occasionally... :)

Explains much. Thanks.

Very welcome... just look at the breed Andalusian... good ones are the standard for the blue color... and blue is often referred to as Andalusian blue to differentiate it from self blue (lavender), and is the actual proper name... ;)

Back
Top Bottom