Lavender what???

I have blue americanas and I was thinking they should be called blue as well. When I bought them from tractor supply they said they were lavender whyandotte. Are they both the same breed? The hens comb is almost nonexistent. Idk if it is because they are still young???

I have blue americanas and I was thinking they should be called blue as well. When I bought them from tractor supply they said they were lavender whyandotte. Are they both the same breed? The hens comb is almost nonexistent. Idk if it is because they are still young???

Feed stores are notorious for not labeling breeds correctly.... and hatchery stock can be hit or miss on getting a breed with all the proper traits for the breed...

Wyandottes *should* have yellow legs, but blue and black also tend to have slate or black legs causing additional leg color differences... and yellow is recessive, if not bred to standard properly, it could get lost... hatcheries and feed stores are about quantity and not so much quality...

Wyandottes and Ameraucanas are completely different breeds... they *shouldn't* be the same breeds, but if the feed store messed up in labeling, anything is possible, lol...

But that would explain the smaller combs on your Wyandottes... Ameraucanas have pea combs, Wyandottes have rose combs... rose combs are much flatter and shorter than pea combs... :)

Feed stores are notorious for not labeling breeds correctly.... and hatchery stock can be hit or miss on getting a breed with all the proper traits for the breed...

Wyandottes *should* have yellow legs, but blue and black also tend to have slate or black legs causing additional leg color differences... and yellow is recessive, if not bred to standard properly, it could get lost... hatcheries and feed stores are about quantity and not so much quality...

Wyandottes and Ameraucanas are completely different breeds... they *shouldn't* be the same breeds, but if the feed store messed up in labeling, anything is possible, lol...

But that would explain the smaller combs on your Wyandottes... Ameraucanas have pea combs, Wyandottes have rose combs... rose combs are much flatter and shorter than pea combs... :)

I was just about to ask what the difference is because they look so similar. These don’t look anything like my Americauas. I wasn’t sure if both of these birds were the same breed. I know the roosters combs grow faster then the hens. They are still young & this is my first time with these guys.

Back
Top Bottom