Lawn Feritilizer?

imusa76

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Rhode Island
I don't use Fertilizer in my Backyard, but my next door neighbors do.
my chickens don't freerange all of the time, just in the afternoons and weekends.

Should I not let them near the fence area untill we get a few good rain showers?
any thoughts on this topic..

The Grass is starting to showup, the snow is mostly melted (finally)

and I know by mid to late March my neighbors start to fertilize there lawns.

Can you add a solid barrier to the fence line to stop the granuals from bouncing through the fence? Or ask the neighbor to start at the fence (their back to it) and broadcast the granuals as thy walk away from the property line. If explained it could harm your chickens most are understanding. Mine have talk with their tree trimmers and others who do work on their property to be cautious of the fence line and our critters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that any barrier will stop the fertilizer from entering on your property.
hmm.png
Fertilizer disperses and sinks in the ground as it rains,
that is why the grass stays green and full. That is a bummer tough, that it will be getting into your yard. I actually never thought of this!
Luckily I don't think my neighbors care enough to fertilize their yards..

we have PVC privacy fence now, nothing goes through the fence, but it travels in the dirt when it rains, my grass on that side is really green up to about 20' from the property line.
what I migth do is Keep them locked in the run untill we have a few good rain showers to disapate the fertilizer into the ground.

Back
Top Bottom