Lawn fertilized and I am so mad! What can I do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Beccabugh, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Beccabugh

Beccabugh New Egg

Mar 25, 2012
    We just bought our first home and started raising chicks for the first time. Yesterday while we weren't home, my father in law came over and fertilized my organic lawn and organic garden without permission! Needless to say, I am absolutely LIVID! I shoveled out as much fertilizer from the garden as possible, but have no way to get it out of the grass or the chicken's run! What can I do?? Will my chicks be poisoned? I think it is just fertilizer and not pesticide, but I am so angry!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmm... that's not helpful. It sounds like the father in law needs some clear but gentle education on organic practices or family boundaries.

As far a just fertilizer, if it is thoroughly watered into the lawn, it should not be a problem once it is dry. In the run, you may want to cover it with a good layer of some sand and water it in. If a pesticide or weed killer was included you may want to find out which ingredients were included and then look them up on the internet for guidance.

3. SkyeSchazade

SkyeSchazade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Mulino, OR
    [​IMG] I would find out what kind of ingrediants were in in, and then water, water, water! Try to keep the girls away from the heavily treated areas. Good luck!

4. wvgal61

wvgal61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Troutman, nc
    [​IMG]
    I wish u good luck.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It's just fertilizer.

Its the EXACT same chemicals as in "organic" fertilizer

Nitrogen is Nitrogen, no matter what the source

Same with Phosphorous and Potassium

6. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Same as Chicken Schyjt........Thank your FIL. Or send him over to my house to fertilize my lawn and I'll thank him AND make him a good down on the farm dinner.

7. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    dang... wish someone would dump some fertilizer over in my garden, my corn could sure use a bit more! :) I agree, fertilizer's fertilizer. If you don't use your chicken's bedding and droppings in your garden then you're missing out on one of the huge benefits of having them!

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Can you get a brand name or type out of him? Was it just fertilizer... or a weed & feed? Some are pet friendly, some are not, need a label to read! Fertilizer is fertilizer until additives go into it.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You can send your FIL to my farm I need to fertlize a hundred acres. That will keep him busy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by