1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lawn Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by heyjami, Dec 20, 2008.

1. heyjami

heyjami Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2008
    My gardeners put out fertilizer against our wishes on Thursday.

How long before it's safe for the hens to roam again?

Yes, I'm livid. My husband was able to round them up and get them into their coop before any of them ingested it.

They do not spend much of their time in the lawn, but they run across it to access the garden and get to the other side. ;-)

anyway, it has drizzled out but should we just wait until after the big rain next week? I was going to let them out today but hub thinks it's unsafe.

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would wait until it gets washed in good. If it had pesticide with fertalizer or weed killer I would be very careful about letting them on it at all. I am really paranoid about chemicals and my birds as it doesn't take much to make them sick.

I don't use any chemicals on my backyard. just the front. (my chickens don't have access to the front.

If it was a spray it will probably be gone faster than if it was a granular spread.

Good luck

3. dale

dale Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    I have fertilizer put out ever day and the chickens seen to have no problem with.... wait a minute... you mean 'chemical fertilizer' not poop.

Sorry, my bad:D

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yeah, I would be ticked!!
    Find out from your landscapers what they used and what is in it. Iron is especially bad for animals, but anything else would be bad if ingested. I would get out there with a hose right away and start washing that in (maybe even a sprinkler). And get a new landscaping firm, preferably organic, they should be more careful about what they use. Who knows what sprays, etc.. these guys could be putting on your yard. If you want to fertilize, use corn gluten meal.

Funny, automatic editing! Ticked was not the work I used!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by