Lawn type-can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
orange county
We are putting in a lawn in the backyard.
we need a lawn in back because we have chickens who need to graze something while in their tractor and the dirt gets muddy when it rains, making it undesirable to walk on or let my toddler play out back. When dry, I have hard packed dirt with some lovely weeds in a few patches currently. When it rains-the dirt gets areas of standing water-more percipitation-more puddles...so we are thinking of adding a french drain too.
The dirt is not very level, and I have read conflicting information on here as to how to go about getting ideal grazing turf. enhancing existing turf without roto tilling-adding sod-roto tilling and planting grass seed...
i don't think commercial sod that is totally chemically enhanced will work for chickens-the soil isn't too hard, the green mesh always comes out, it tends to stay muddy and its full of chemicals.
I don't think our yard should be rototilled since that will change the consistency of the soil- to be too light and loamy-easily scratched up-but new grass seed won't really take on that hard surface unless i keep it muddy for ages and even then the local finches and sparrows will likely clean up.
I don't know what type of grass will handle chickens and our climate best---marathon and blue grass and some type of fescue seem to be the most popular here...our front lawn has really dense growth-its fescue.
I really would like to plant a bunch of weeds and variety of grasses and just use the chicken tractor and our goose keep it managed. Is anyone aware of a way to get a bunch of weed seeds-types that dont have those awful stickers?
I don't really know how to go about this but I do know I would like it to happen soon and I would also like it to hold up to chickens. I would appreciate any advice as to what works or experience on what not to do.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a tall order. I think, if I were to tackle that problem, I would start by fencing off an area to keep the chickens off until it is established. Then I would lightly till and place plugs or strips from the front yard. Keep it watered daily until it takes hold then back off slowly until it is well established. It will not take hold and survive if you let the chickens scratch it up before it is thick, then you can do another area until you have covered the whole yard.

Good luck!

sounds like this is a long process type thing unless I use the front lawn- I want to use the chicken tractor now of course. Is there a way to dig up my front yard do you know-do they rent machines that make sod or do we have to dig up every little bit? I think my husband won't like doing anything with the front yard yet-its like tackling 2 huge projects at once...ugh---I guess I wouldn't be so impatient if we didn't have SO many projects to get done before the next baby arrives in 6 months.
ok-so I do think the established turf is the best answer...but it just has so many other questions that go along with it..

What I do when I need to start grass in another area is to edge the sidewalks, driveway, flowerbeds, etc. and use the 4" wide strips I remove to start the new area. I have a edging tool that is like a hoe but flat and shaped like a half moon. I cut the grass about 4" from the concrete and pry it up as I go. It kills two birds with one stone, plugs for the bare spot and nice clean edges for the walks!

Back
Top Bottom