Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
What a piece of work! Worse than a toddler!!

I've been following your thread. Your doing such a great job with kubota. I give my chickens meal worms for treats. I'm not sure how expensive they are (I raise them my self and they are real easy to raise). By looking at the pics. I think his leg is healing great. I spent three weeks healing a hen that was attacked by a racoon. It totally ripped off all the skin from her head to her breast. I used penicillen and vitamin D ointment. She healed better then I thought, sadly a bobcat took her. (The bobcat is now RIP). I think kubota will learn walk with the stump with no problem. Good Luck.

I really think he needs a prostetic leg. Anyone ever made one for a chicken? I feel like it wouldnt be super hard.

I don't think a prosteic leg would be that hard. A long time ago I had a goose that was attacked by a dog and part of it's beak was ripped off, I taped a piece of shell, that I grinded down, on to what was left and he learned how to eat. After a while it fell off and he could eat on his own.

depending on how his leg heals, I think he will be able to use it enough to either hobble along or to balance while hopping / feeding etc. He has his whole leg, 1 toe and a "chunk" of his foot... it appears mostly to be toes and the part of the foot right there around the toes.

I do make him work his wings some.... it started unintentionally. Sometimes I hold him straddle of my forearm while I do stuff and he flaps to keep his balance / try to put my eye out
wink.png

I decided that would be good to keep his circulation up, get his heart pumping a little and also work his wings. It feels so funny sitting on the edge of the trailer giving a chicken PT on his leg LOL. I push his toes (good foot) on the flat of my palm - straighten and bend, straighten and bend. Then I have him grip my finger because he thinks that is all he has to perch on (wings come into play here, too lol). I bend and straighten at the knee / hock, and then at the hip. Afterwards, I massage his thigh muscle and then soak him in warm water and / or diluted povadine before wrapping.
My dad saw Kubota for the first time this afternoon. He thought he had died and I was sitting on the trailer crying - Kubota had fallen asleep and his head was flopped really limp over my arm, neck kind of twisted, eyes closed, wings drooping..... he looked very perturbed when I shook him to show my dad he was indeed alive. hahahahhaa

Prosthetic leg...........Hmmmm. My grandmother told me, many years ago, about a 'banty' chicken that had it's leg frozen off one winter. They took a clothspin and clipped that to his leg and it worked well. Now, I'm not necessarily suggesting you use a clothspin, but I wonder if we couldn't put our heads together and come up with something? Some kind of a small pill cap or small cup, padded, for the stump to rest in, with maybe a velcro type strap to attach to the leg, and attached to a metal pin with something smoothe at the end that touches the ground. I'll have to think a bit.
Although, he may do just fine with his stump!

I am famous for making thing out of other things. Just ask my patients parents (human). Lol. I was thinking if a sleeve of wetsuit material with a "mitten" that covered the parts of the foot that reaim while still allowing his good toe to poke out. I would add something on the mitten/shoe to stiffen the bottom. If I lived closer Id try a prototype! Maybe you can send a cast of both legs and I could go from there! How fun would that be!

Well first of all, Happy Birthday! I've decided after reading all this, that if anything ever happens to me and I need care and therapy, we're going to fly you down so you can take care of me!
...'one legged, bug infested, bandage eating rooster'...and you say it with so much love...

Happy Birthday, again!

@chickenzoo...Love it! Is it hard to get around a coop with that. Do you have pictures with anyone in it? So cool!

Back
Top Bottom