Laws about selling butchered birds.

spamanon

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
I live in Idaho. I am wondering if anyone knows the rules about selling butchered poultry in Idaho (or anywhere else for an example), or how to find out. I have 6 turkeys and not enough room for them in the freezer. I would like to sell 3-4 of them to friends.
Thanks.

why not just sell them to your friends. If you're worried about the butchering, your friends can always butcher them, themselves.

I am not the expert on your question, but I know in some states there are exemptions for on-farm poultry processing, for example, if you have under say 10,000 birds grown and butchered on your own farm, you can do it yourself as long as you sell direct to the customer. I don't know about your state.

In Ohio, if I'm reading it right, you can't sell dressed birds to the public; have to have them processed by a certified processor. BUT you can sell live birds then offer to process them so it's a little twisted...

We called the county, and they referred us to the local USDA office. So we called them and they said as long as both parties are aware of the lack of regulated standards involving the butchering process, and as long as we don't sell too many, were are fine. When asked how many is too many, the guy said that this was rather nebulous (from the gov? go figure.
lol.png
) but that a truckload is probably not too many.
big_smile.png

Hello we're wondering if anyone knows the laws and guidelines for butchering chickens and selling them to your friends in the great state of North Dakota. We're new to this and if anyone has any tips or advice on this topic please share it! :)

Hello we're wondering if anyone knows the laws and guidelines for butchering chickens and selling them to your friends in the great state of North Dakota. We're new to this and if anyone has any tips or advice on this topic please share it! :)

You'd be custom exempt or retail exempt if just a back yard, hobby farm operation.

Here's North Dakota with document link you could read or just call one of the contacts and double check your exempt.

http://www.nd.gov/ndda/program/meat-inspection

The loophole would be to sell the birds live and volunteer to butcher for them, then the birds are no longer yours, you are just helping a friend

I have chickens in the backyard, and am not supposed to by zoning. I have raised six flocks of chickens, sold them all as "live birds" with a three dollar processing fee. Getting ready to do it again. What I do in my back yard and garage is my business. Most municipal gov't guys don't care.

Back
Top Bottom