Laws and testing when moving a flock from one state to another? Help?

chicksdontmeow

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2016
Illinois
So I'm going to be moving from Illinois to Florida and I would like to bring my three hens with me. I've been trying to read up on the laws and documentation they require and I'm just so confused. Is there anyone who can help me figure out what I need and how I'm supposed to get it?

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/35302/830464/Poultry_Requirements.pdf

I tried calling the Florida department of agriculture and the person over the phone was very unhelpful. So I was just hoping someone on here has made a move with birds and could give me a hand.

You need a bill of health for interstate transport of livestock. In the case of poultry usually NPIP certification is enough. If your birds are not certified look into doing that. Once certified you'll have your NPIP paper and ID# and your birds will be tagged. That is all you really need; some states require more and there is always little nit picky things which is intended for large trailer loads of livestock but the laws are not written that way. Ignore all that and just have your NPIP and you'll not have a problem. Traffic violation along the way and there your cert paper is right in the glove box with car registration.

The vet that tests your birds will look at total health and test for whatever is required for your state. Each state has option to add tests, for example my state added bird flu even though we are nowhere near a state with outbreak. Ya know how knee jerk politics are. A mereks test instead would be better but it is what it is.

As for NPIP being all you need- yes. It's all that is required for show birds to enter a show whether that show is in their own state or across country. Birds travel far and wide to poultry shows.

As for nit pick things some states do, there is one that comes to mind (can't remember which- maybe New Jerrsey?), where the law states any livestock entering the state must notify the such an such department prior to crossing state line. Clearly this is intended for mass transport and trailer loads of livestock but the writing of it does not differentiate from trailer loads of any livestock to four chickens. The intent is clear but the writing of such things all encompassing. Just ignore it like everyone does. If you researched every state rules from Illinois to Florida you'd likely see some silly things that really don't apply to you and transport of a few birds. Show birds are transported all the time and people only have NPIP certs.

Back
Top Bottom