Laws for Kensington, CA?

SkyChicks

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Hi, I'm trying to find information on keeping chickens in Kensington, CA. We want to have a few at my son's preschool and we are having trouble finding the right information. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Thanks! Stephanie

If the below is accurate, then you need to look for the municipal code for Contra Coasta. Then you need to find what your parcel # is zoned as under the zoning ordinances, to see if you are allowed to keep chickens.

Kensington (formerly, Kensington Park)[1] is an unincorporated community and census-designated place located in the East Bay, part of the San Francisco Bay Area, in Contra Costa County, California, United States. The population was 4,936 at the 2000 census.​

I think it would depend on technically what the preschool is zoned as... Contra Costa County does allow chickens on residential lots. If I were you, I would plant a garden at the preschool, put the chicks in the garden and say you are teaching sustainable agriculture. With the focus on school gardens in the California Dept. Of Education right now you'd be a hero.
wink.png

You have to be very, very careful when you research though. MOST municipal codes (not even the zoning, but the big-daddy laws) make a big stink about keeping fowl away from schools: usually 100' to 100 yards. There are also exceptions for educators, but that also depends on the county.

Perhaps a quick call to the county clerk?

Hatching eggs probably does not require that the zoning or code allow poultry. Keeping and raising them would. And whoever licenses the preschool will probably have ordinances about that. I know that preschools in all of Maricopa County, Arizona are NOT allowed poultry, reptiles and a number of other creatures. Hatching chicks is allowed, but they cannot remain there.

I'm up in Sutter County, CA and I know that one of our local elementary schools has a whole flock of chickens in the school garden. It is not only allowed but frequently in the paper as an example of "best practices" for local schools. The school I work at and my children attend has reptiles in several classrooms. There is actually a part of education code that says you can't have feathered animals in schools but when they are part of curriculum it is an exception, hence my school garden suggestion. Most likely your preschool is independently owned and operated and is run as a business, which would also affect the zoning. Preschools are tricky because they are not technically controlled by the dep. of education and are in a shady area. Find out what the building is zoned as and it will help a ton...

Thanks everyone for all the good information. I will post again what we find out and if we get to keep them will I'm sure be back for advice!

Back
Top Bottom