Laws for selling eggs???

Hmm, this doesnt seem right, because I see eggs sitting on tables for sale at farmers markets all the time (I'm in Ohio too). The only law they have told me about is that you can't charge a set price you have to take donations (you can make a "suggested donation" sign though)

Yep, I've seen the same sort of thing, though at a little farmer's market they charged a set fee and kept the eggs in a cooler with ice etc. They made a good effort to keep them cool. I think it really depends on the market, where the market is, and how well they are checked or even visited by anyone from the health dept. There's a larger market in the county seat that is much more highly regulated. No eggs there!

pwyll,
Thanks for your information. I too live in Ohio. I have 50 hens and am selling the eggs out of my home and through a local tavern/diner. I was all freaked out about the legal issues I read on the link above. My eggs have been put into recycled cartons. So I have to buy new ones and my labels will have to read "Ungraded" "Mixed sizes" and "Processed on ________" and that should keep me out of jail!

pwyll,
Thanks for your information. I too live in Ohio. I have 50 hens and am selling the eggs out of my home and through a local tavern/diner. I was all freaked out about the legal issues I read on the link above. My eggs have been put into recycled cartons. So I have to buy new ones and my labels will have to read "Ungraded" "Mixed sizes" and "Processed on ________" and that should keep me out of jail!

Love Love Love this wonderful site
2665.png
This is just what I was looking for this morning. We have some time before they start laying but wanted to have the info before that time comes. We will only be selling from home, so no worries. I did not know if a permit was needed or not. Thank you for all of the info. We will know what is needed if a farmers market is in our future.

Thanks for the information but I didn't understand any of these laws because I don't have more then 500 hens. I only have two hens that lay eggs right now but I will have a total of 22 chickens and 3 roosters. I don't plan of getting 100 and two are Meyer meal makers so I'm donating their eggs. I was hopping I could sale their eggs but these laws sound they don't apply to me at all. I'm not really sure what I should do. :( Any help would be wonderful.

Well I got a sign out front and an add on craigs list. I also sell to friends and family. If in Ohio and your selling from your chickens you raise. And from your home you are excluded from the laws. There is a limit of like 1000 birds. But I'll never have that many. And i have no reason to go out commercially and sell. So the laws dont mean anything to me. I do know any one can take them to the auction and sell and never be bothered around here and many sales if interested. Eggs from a private owner will never be an issue, THeir after the big farms who skip over all the taxes and work undercover.

Back
Top Bottom