Lax tendon in duckling leg

SamDuck24

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2017
Hi everyone. I am seriously needing some advice and comfort here. My baby Pekin Pippin is two months old. I went to visit him at the farm I took him to on Saturday (knew he would be happier in an open space with a large pond etc) and was absolutely devastated to see him limping so badly that he couldn't even stand on the leg so I took him to the vet on Monday (vet was not open on Sunday :/) and the vet essentially explained that pippins leg joint moves in different directions because the tendon is not strong enough and therefore has a lax tendon. He didn't pick up a break or dislocation and couldn't splint it because if it healed his leg would be permanently straight which doesn't help.

Long story short I have been told to keep pippin off his leg completely and keep him in a box to recover with absolutely no movement for a week. He is on pain and anti inflammatory meds prescribed by the avian vet.

I'm at a loss here. Vet suggested pippin might need to be put down and that simply isn't an option. I'll do what ever it takes to get him right.

Has anyone seen this? Dealt with this? Please please advise.

Pippin also had leg problems as a baby due to how he was found and not enough niacin. Please help :(

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am seriously needing some advice and comfort here. My baby Pekin Pippin is two months old. I went to visit him at the farm I took him to on Saturday (knew he would be happier in an open space with a large pond etc) and was absolutely devastated to see him limping so badly that he couldn't even stand on the leg so I took him to the vet on Monday (vet was not open on Sunday
hmm.png
) and the vet essentially explained that pippins leg joint moves in different directions because the tendon is not strong enough and therefore has a lax tendon. He didn't pick up a break or dislocation and couldn't splint it because if it healed his leg would be permanently straight which doesn't help.

Long story short I have been told to keep pippin off his leg completely and keep him in a box to recover with absolutely no movement for a week. He is on pain and anti inflammatory meds prescribed by the avian vet.

I'm at a loss here. Vet suggested pippin might need to be put down and that simply isn't an option. I'll do what ever it takes to get him right.

Has anyone seen this? Dealt with this? Please please advise.

Pippin also had leg problems as a baby due to how he was found and not enough niacin. Please help
sad.png
@casportpony

@Amiga

So essentially pippin can't put any weight on his leg and tries not to. He tips forward when he tries to stand so I try and calm him to get him to lie down and eat, which he does.

I don't really know how to describe what I'm seeing because it honestly just looks like the joint is incredibly weak and cannot support his weight. The vet said it's a lax? I feel like the tendon is damaged (obviously :( ) and he needs to rest, yes?

He's eating fine and has a healthy apatite and doesn't scream when he tries to stand on the leg.

The joint almost looks dislocated but the vet said he can't see that it is. And tested it etc. It use to wobble back and forth when he was recovering previously and now it's just all over the place...

I'll try get photos tomorrow and hopefully that helps.

I'll try answer questions you might have as best I can and describe it better but I honestly just think it's really weak :(

I personally would keep him resting for as long as the vet recommended ......He is young....If he was introduced to other mature Ducks on the farm? He possibly got chased, slipped and injured his leg.....Poor Duckling.....I hope with rest it heals.....:)

Best wishes......

Cheers!

Hey guys. So Pippin will be getting xrays and hopefully we can see what's going on. Although he's doing much better today already. Still not 100% but seems better. Not in visible pain.

Another vet said that if it's his tendon then 6 weeks rest is best. So will see

Back
Top Bottom