lay pellets coming out the back end looking the same as they went in

rosegal

Songster
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Tustin, CA
They can't possibly be digested one bit nor any nutrition extracted from them. I have noticed this a few times. What do you think?
hmm.png

Grit was my first thought too.

What brand and type of pellets? How old are the chickens? Maybe you could switch to crumbles. Are all your chickens passing the pellets undigested or just some of them? Are the morning droppings like this? Where are they fed and when? Do the pellets have grit in them or are they the kind that require granite grit separately? Is everyone drinking and do they have access to water at all times?

Last edited:
Ok, after more investigation, I have decided that this is probably from one chick. And it could very well be a grit problem. She has only one eye and is a "special needs" child.....She does not go in the dirt with the others. I was watching her this morning, and she is the one doing this sort of pooping. I do have the sand box for her, but I don't think she can get in there by herself. So, I am just going to have to put her in the box every day and see if this changes. I am also grinding up the pellets in the blender now. They all eat the ground stuff better anyway.
Thanks for your thoughts, it made me look at it more carefully.

You can also soak those pellets in warm water until they are soft. I do that sometimes for some of my special hens and they eat it right up.

Back
Top Bottom