lay pellets coming out the back end looking the same as they went in

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rosegal, Feb 1, 2009.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    They can't possibly be digested one bit nor any nutrition extracted from them. I have noticed this a few times. What do you think?[​IMG]

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    do they have any grit? that is all I can think of that could cause that. Jean

3. rosegal

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    yes they are free range in my side yard and have plenty of dirt, sand anything else they should like.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Grit was my first thought too.

What brand and type of pellets? How old are the chickens? Maybe you could switch to crumbles. Are all your chickens passing the pellets undigested or just some of them? Are the morning droppings like this? Where are they fed and when? Do the pellets have grit in them or are they the kind that require granite grit separately? Is everyone drinking and do they have access to water at all times?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. rosegal

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Ok, after more investigation, I have decided that this is probably from one chick. And it could very well be a grit problem. She has only one eye and is a "special needs" child.....She does not go in the dirt with the others. I was watching her this morning, and she is the one doing this sort of pooping. I do have the sand box for her, but I don't think she can get in there by herself. So, I am just going to have to put her in the box every day and see if this changes. I am also grinding up the pellets in the blender now. They all eat the ground stuff better anyway.
    Thanks for your thoughts, it made me look at it more carefully.

6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    You can also soak those pellets in warm water until they are soft. I do that sometimes for some of my special hens and they eat it right up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by