Layena Pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kitty Cat, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Has anyone every tried it and are you pleased with it. I'm wanting to switch feeds b/c what I currently have is too expensive and not working well. I called the feed stores and this is actually cheaper but I've been hearing about it a lot. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

**** Well thank you all so very much. I will def be switching to Layena pellets! Thanks for all the feedback!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    There are lots of opinions about food and feeding here. Layena pellets are formulated for laying hens and are a perfectly suitable feed. I used it for almost a year; you will need to supplement their calcium to keep the shells nice and strong. I switched to the Dumor brand supplied by Tractor Supply. There are several 16% protein layer pellets out there; I personally just make sure there is no “animal rudiment” in the mix.( Ground up animal parts and bones) That seems to be a positive point to everyone who eats my eggs. I understand the money thing. It really helps to feed some scratch and pasture if you can. Throwing out scratch in their pen will give them some exercise and something to do. Over fed fat chickens will not lay well, ( does this sound like experience talking? lol). Be sure you review the recomended feeding and adjust as you need for your flock.

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use the Layena pellets because they waste less feed. They like the crumbles better but there is more spillage around the feeder and more goes to waste.

Lisa

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I've always used layena feed and am very pleased with it, my hens love it too [​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I've fed Purina Layena for years and use their chick starter for my chicks. My hens get free choice oyster shell. I have nice, sleek, healthy hens with nice plumage and lots of big, hard shelled eggs.

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I just switched to Layena, their crumbles for my Seramas and their new Omega formula for both (they are very small pellets). I've been very pleased with both. I used to use the feed store brand but I was having too many issues with vitamin deficient chickens and chicks no matter what I did. I haven't had any problems so far, fingers crossed it was a food issue.

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I feed layena pellets (except for a bag of crumbles received by accident recently) and the girls are great daily layers...nice eggs with very hard shells, and I do not offer oyster shell. I'd never go back to crumbles if given a choice. [​IMG]

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    ditto. me and the birds are happy with it. a feed store brand did not do well and the crumbles get spilled and are too dusty.

9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:So you think the Omega 3 Purina has smaller pellets than regular Layena? That is good to know, as I recently had to buy a bag of Layena until my other feed order is in & I didn't remember how big the pellets had been. They are huge compared to other feed I have bought.

10. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I love layena for my chickens. I don't use the pellets, cause they seem to not eat them. So I can't really say how it would work out for you.

But as for layena itself, I would not want to switch to any other chicken food. Our farm stores around here do have other chicken food brands that are some cheaper, but everyone I've talked with that have chickens and have used the other brands all said their eggs were not as good. The shells were much thinner and weaker and the color of the egg yolk was not as nice either.

I have had people comment to me that my eggs are wonderful color (the insides) and the shells are so nice and thick and strong. They don't break or crack as easily as other eggs they have gotten from other people. Some of those other eggs will crack if just bumped the least little bit, and they have lost too many eggs that way.

I have tried the layena plus omega 3 and my chickens (so far) are not interested in eating it. But they are used to crumbles. The layena plus omega 3 is very small pellets, so I don't know if that little bit of difference is why they won't eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by