1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

layena

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by daoustaj, Oct 10, 2012.

1. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I have always used dumour for the life of my chickens. I thought maybe ill try a bit more expensive feed layena and see how it goes. I always had an excellent egg laying rate, i swotched to layena anyways and a chicken got pale and lethargic, get better and happened to her again. Then i only was getting 30% of my normal laying rate from all birds. . . Theyve been back on dumour for 2 weeks and laying rate is increasing back up. . Anyone else have layena issues??

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. Ridge Farm

Ridge Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Gore, VA
    I too switched from Dumor to Layena, and my hens are doing great. Egg production went up significantly.

3. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm interested in the response to this thread as I will be having to switch off the chick starter soon, moving to another brand or staying with Dumour, going organic, or what.

daoustaj, could it be the switching of the feed that got the hens all out of kilter? Maybe slowly mix them and wean them off??? I am so new at this I don't know. Is Layena supposed to be better than Dumour?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

TSC contracts with Purina to make DuMor in most, but not all, of the country. The difference between the two is insignificant in our experience.

5. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I mixed them slowly. I think the dumour is only plant based? Im sticking with dumour. I guess i could have gotten a bad bag of layena, it was pretty dusty for pellet, but wasnt expired.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Both Dumor & Layena are plant based.

7. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We use Layena crumbles and love it. -chickens are thriving on this plus grass/greens from lawn, fruit, scratch, and oyster shell. -tried an organic feed initially, but they picked through it and left most of it unconsumed. It was very, very dusty. I would prefer organic feed, but haven't found any in our area that isn't powdery/dusty. -gals are laying an egg every day on the Layena (even the OEGB and Japanese bantam).

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have tried both Dumor and Layena and I found a decrease in egg production when the girls ate either feed. I stopped using both Dumor AND Layen and put them on Flockraiser pellets. My eye production spiked almost immediately. I tried doing this on 2 separate occasions to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. I switched them back to Dumor and one time and then to Layena. Again, their egg production decreased. I then switched back to Flockraiser pellets and eye production spiked yet again. I'm done with both Dumor and Layena. I use Flockraiser for my laying hens and will never switch back to either. I did this experiment over a time span of about 6 months.

All new chicks start on Flockraiser crumble and then they graduate to Flockraiser pellets. I love the Flockraiser because all ages can eat it.

9. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I had never given any thought to putting my hens on flockraiser. My roos get it and when chicks come of starter go to flockraiser. I use Hubbard laying pellets which have worked great but the last couple weeks they seem to pick around them. I may just add another bag of flockraiser to my formula and exclude the laying pellets to see how they do. It took me a few months but I finally got a formula that everyone seems to eat well.

10. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    HMMM I just switched from Flockraiser to Bar ale all purpose poultry pellets-- it is also 20% protein, has slightly more calcium than the Flockraiser(but less than the laying formulas), and I wanted pellets for less waste.... Also Bar ale is a locally made (CA) brand it is also plant based (which I did not seek out but most major brands appear to be going that way)... I will see how my hens do (I have a young Jersey Giant roo who is eating with his hens)... and get back to you guys--

OOH I did not know that Flockraiser came pelleted I guess that makes sense, anyway, I wanted to go local, as I am thinking it is more dependably fresher that way,etc...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by