Feed Advice for Mixed Flock - Layena? Flock Raiser?

DuckChick758

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
I have chickens and ducks, similar, but not exact same ages - all coexisting. Need some help with nutrition!

Most chickens are about 22+ weeks now, no eggs yet, which I find a bit odd? I have one younger one who is 17 weeks.
The ducks are also ~22 weeks, but I have a younger pair who are 16 weeks now.

I had them on Purina Flock Raiser. About 2 weeks ago I added free choice oyster shell since they were nearing laying age. I have seen them pecking at it, but it seems like the ducks don't really eat it much? Then this week we had our first egg experience with a 22 week old duck...and she was eggbound. Went to lengths to save her and eventually, after 48 hours, calcium gluconate, warm baths, and an Oxytocin injection, she laid 2 eggs. The shells seem ok, but one egg was just slightly softer than I would consider normal.

I am now worried my flock isn't getting what they need for laying, and I really don't want egg binding again. I also think it's a bit odd I have no eggs from any of my 22+ week old chickens? They have red combs and have been showing interest in the nesting boxes for weeks, but nothing. I also have a bag of Layena Layer pellets. Would that be a better option since everyone is at (or nearing) laying age? I would supplement that feed with more niacin for the ducks, if I went that route.

Would love to hear what's working for people!

I feed a 20% all flock with free choice oyster/eggshell on the side. My flock ranges in age from 5 days up to 3+ yrs and a rooster, I've never had any problems. They will eat the oyster shell as they need it, sometimes I fill my container and I it doesn't look like it's been touched in weeks, then I'll go out and it'll have a noticeable amount missing. It sounds like your duck may have just had a new layer glitch, sometimes those things happen. You're just going to have to see what works best for you and your setup.

Back
Top Bottom