1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by banniste, Feb 23, 2009.

1. banniste

banniste Out Of The Brooder

When we first got our chickens the kind of layer crumbles that was recommended to us was from a local Rural King. The amount of protien (16%). Recently I had to buy some from Orchelin (very close to our house). It's manufactured by the same company, but some % of ingredients are a little different, still 16% protien. However, when I compared the ingredients lists, the one made for Rural King seems to have some streptomycin in it, that the Orchelin doesn't. Is it considered a good idea, or is it not really an antibiotic.

Additonally, does anyone know of a supplier that carries organic layer crumbles?

Thanks for any advice. We are crazy about our chickens. We started with 4 Plymouths in the fall, and we added 4 RIRs in January. That was a challenge--integrate the new, younger girls, to the older girls. But we're getting almost 4 dozen eggs a week now!

Nancy

2. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    [​IMG]

You need to post your state in your subject line so people who are locals can direct you better. Medicated feed is usually used as a starter feed for chicks. Full grown layers need 15-17% protein rations and Meat birds need 20% or better when growing and 15% to finish. If you google organic feed and your location you should be able to find a supplier--just be prepared for a steep jump in price--however quality in equals quality out. You didn't say how old your chickens were or if they free range or not--which can also make a difference...

3. banniste

banniste Out Of The Brooder

I'm in Bloomington, Indiana. With 4 plymouths that will be a year old in April or May, and 4 RIRs that are about 6 months old. All are laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by