Layer Feed For Hens

Hi. Most layer feeds only contain about 16% protein. Everyone's going to have different opinions, but for my money, I like my hens to have about 20% protein. So I feed an all-flock formula and provide oyster shell in a separate bowl so the layers can help themselves to the calcium to meet their needs. Layer feed includes calcium, all-flock does not. But my flock also includes non-layers: old birds, young birds and a rooster. The calcium in a layer formula can be hard on the kidneys of the non-layers. So all-flock works for me.

Idk what your particular store offers, but I'd get one with at least 18% protein, preferably more. Sure, your girls can survive just fine on 16% but 16% is the bare minimum. All flock or flock raiser with oyster shells on the side is also a valid option if that's the only thing with the right protein amounts. I myself am currently feeding kalmbach flock raiser pellets, but I have chicks, once they start laying I'll be switching back to nutrena naturewise 21% layer pellets

Several years back I asked a veterinarian which brand of dog food was best for my dogs. He replied that any major brand has what they need. Many people on this forum will have strong opinions on what is the best dog food or chicken feed. They certainly would not agree with that medical professional.

The main differences in the various feeds is either percent protein or percent calcium. A hen or pullet laying an egg needs a lot of calcium for the egg shell. That's why Layer has around 4% calcium. Other non-laying chickens still need some calcium, just not as much. Most non-Layer feeds typically have around 1% calcium. They all need a certain amount of protein but in my opinion personal preference has a lot to do with what protein levels people feed.

The commercial chicken operations typically feed around a 16% protein feed. That's not because they are mean cruel people that enjoy torturing and abusing chickens by misfeeding them. Their chickens are specially bred hybrids that are extremely efficient in converting feed to eggs. If they feed a higher protein feed they risk the eggs getting large enough to injure the hens as they are laid. Our chickens are not bred like that and can handle higher protein. Many people on this forum like feeding the higher protein feeds. Nothing wrong with that, our chickens can usually handle laying the larger eggs.

Do you feed your chickens treats or do they forage for part of what they eat? If Layer feed is all they eat they should get everything they need from that feed. If they eat much else other than Layer they can come up short on calcium and the protein in the feed is only part of the story. It's the total number of grams of protein they eat in a day that counts, and that is averaged over a few days. If they get lucky and catch a mouse, a frog, or other high protein snack don't worry about them having a high protein day. If yours forage for much of what they eat you have lost your ability to micromanage every bite they eat.

My suggestion on the calcium is to offer oyster shell on the side (available from Tractor Supply). The ones that need it tend to eat it, the ones that don't need it for egg shells may eat a little but they won't eat enough to harm themselves. If they are getting enough calcium from their feed, from certain plants they eat, from creepy crawlies they catch, or even from the rocks they eat if one of your native stones is limestone then they may not touch the oyster shell. They are already getting enough from somewhere.

As to which brand from Tractor Supply to feed. I feed Dumor. Some people are going to be horrified by that. Only the "best" expensive feeds for their babies. They have their reasons but when I look at the analysis on the package it has all the nutrition I want mine to have. Mine forage for a lot of their feed, get kitchen scraps and garden waste also. I figure they eat well.

My hens are now old enough for the Layered Feed For egg production I was wondering what is one of the best feeds from Tractor Supply to give them. First time chicken owner. Thank You

I'd like to know a bit more about your flock before making a recommendation for you specifically, but for the typical BYC flock, this is my typical recommendation.

That is the "best" feed management method for a lot of people in a lot of different sistuations because its generic, and intended to address a lot of possibilities. If you have a more specialized, less "generic" flock, other feed management methods may be "best" for you.

No one right answer, thousands, maybe millions, of wrong ones.

Re: Feed generally, you want something meeting the nutritional minimums you desire for your birds, at a price point you can afford, which is consistently fresh and available. If you've got that, you are golden.

Last edited:
Idk what your particular store offers, but I'd get one with at least 18% protein, preferably more. Sure, your girls can survive just fine on 16% but 16% is the bare minimum. All flock or flock raiser with oyster shells on the side is also a valid option if that's the only thing with the right protein amounts. I myself am currently feeding kalmbach flock raiser pellets, but I have chicks, once they start laying I'll be switching back to nutrena naturewise 21% layer pellets
Thank you for that information

Several years back I asked a veterinarian which brand of dog food was best for my dogs. He replied that any major brand has what they need. Many people on this forum will have strong opinions on what is the best dog food or chicken feed. They certainly would not agree with that medical professional.

The main differences in the various feeds is either percent protein or percent calcium. A hen or pullet laying an egg needs a lot of calcium for the egg shell. That's why Layer has around 4% calcium. Other non-laying chickens still need some calcium, just not as much. Most non-Layer feeds typically have around 1% calcium. They all need a certain amount of protein but in my opinion personal preference has a lot to do with what protein levels people feed.

The commercial chicken operations typically feed around a 16% protein feed. That's not because they are mean cruel people that enjoy torturing and abusing chickens by misfeeding them. Their chickens are specially bred hybrids that are extremely efficient in converting feed to eggs. If they feed a higher protein feed they risk the eggs getting large enough to injure the hens as they are laid. Our chickens are not bred like that and can handle higher protein. Many people on this forum like feeding the higher protein feeds. Nothing wrong with that, our chickens can usually handle laying the larger eggs.

Do you feed your chickens treats or do they forage for part of what they eat? If Layer feed is all they eat they should get everything they need from that feed. If they eat much else other than Layer they can come up short on calcium and the protein in the feed is only part of the story. It's the total number of grams of protein they eat in a day that counts, and that is averaged over a few days. If they get lucky and catch a mouse, a frog, or other high protein snack don't worry about them having a high protein day. If yours forage for much of what they eat you have lost your ability to micromanage every bite they eat.

My suggestion on the calcium is to offer oyster shell on the side (available from Tractor Supply). The ones that need it tend to eat it, the ones that don't need it for egg shells may eat a little but they won't eat enough to harm themselves. If they are getting enough calcium from their feed, from certain plants they eat, from creepy crawlies they catch, or even from the rocks they eat if one of your native stones is limestone then they may not touch the oyster shell. They are already getting enough from somewhere.

As to which brand from Tractor Supply to feed. I feed Dumor. Some people are going to be horrified by that. Only the "best" expensive feeds for their babies. They have their reasons but when I look at the analysis on the package it has all the nutrition I want mine to have. Mine forage for a lot of their feed, get kitchen scraps and garden waste also. I figure they eat well.
Thank you for that information, they do forage some and I also provide some Scratch Grain just enough as a treat, they do eat their grit as well.

Back
Top Bottom