Layer Feed that Isn't Pellets. Okay?

I am glad they are eating their feed finally and that it’s working but I would honestly cut out the scratch completely or at least cut that ratio wayyyy back as it waters down the nutrients in the feed. Just wetting the feed is a treat in and of itself for most birds. 😁 if not, you could add a teeny bit of scratch to trick them into thinking it’s a treat. 😉 but not half and half. Treats should make up no more than 10% of their diet and some don’t feed them at all. BUT. I understand you are still transitioning to pellets so it may help and be okay for a bit.
Oh wow thanks! I am glad you told me that because I was thinking, as long as I am getting some pellets into them, that's good, but I didn't realize that scratch should only be 10 percent or less. One other question, are things like micro-greens and watercress, arugula etc considered treats or is it like humans, they are harmless like salad with no dressing LOL

Oh wow thanks! I am glad you told me that because I was thinking, as long as I am getting some pellets into them, that's good, but I didn't realize that scratch should only be 10 percent or less. One other question, are things like micro-greens and watercress, arugula etc considered treats or is it like humans, they are harmless like salad with no dressing LOL

Right now I'd aim to get them back on eating feed as much as possible. Once they're reliably eating pellets without turning their beaks up at it, you can start working in small amounts of treats again (including scratch). A bit of greens is fine but if you're giving large amounts it's still diluting down the balance of nutrition overall.

It’s definitely good for now! But I would definitely cut back eventually once they’re eating their feed reliably ❤️ And I think greens count towards it but not as bad or as fattening as something like scratch 😂😜 a little bit is probably fine.

Right now I'd aim to get them back on eating feed as much as possible. Once they're reliably eating pellets without turning their beaks up at it, you can start working in small amounts of treats again (including scratch). A bit of greens is fine but if you're giving large amounts it's still diluting down the balance of nutrition overall.
:goodpost:

what would I do without this forum!? Thank you so much. Going to follow your advice!

Hi All - my girls just flat out reject any pellets or crumbles I give them. They will eat scratch but not layer pellets or crumbles. I found these two products on Amazon that I want to try but wanted to know if any of you have tried them and/or like them as an alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X5MPVJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PS24841/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

any thoughts/comments? Ps Happy New Year to all of my chicken loving friends!
I know when I first switched my girls from the baby food to the pellets they were slow to almost not eating. I did limit their treats they started eating more of the pellets. They aren’t crazy about it but I know they need them

Have you tried whole grain complete chicken food? My girls love it and it’s better for them too. Less processed. I know of 2 companies that make it: “scratch & peck” But it is a complete layer or grower feed and Modesto milling. Not cheap but I buy ours through azure.com , maybe there is a drop off location near you?!

Have you tried whole grain complete chicken food? My girls love it and it’s better for them too. Less processed. I know of 2 companies that make it: “scratch & peck” But it is a complete layer or grower feed and Modesto milling. Not cheap but I buy ours through azure.com , maybe there is a drop off location near you?!
This is not true...a whole grain feed is not better for them. The opposite, a pelleted or crumble feed, is better for them. Keep reading and you'll see why.

My chickens would only eat crumbles,if you want them to eat it up,put layer of corn meal on top,they usually clean up too bottom.Depending on feeder of course,mine are several large open wall feeders.
This will help them get all the calcium and vitamins from theyre food.Need calcium to not get egg bound .Mine get yogurt couple times a week,but they need more then that to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom