Layer feed through the winter?

Eva2020

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
Berkshire County, MA
3 out of my 4 pullets are still laying. They are on a layer feed, 16% protein I believe but I will double check. I don't know if they will continue laying through the winter, but I'm wondering if I should keep them on the layer feed or switch them to something with less protein. The one that has stopped laying is a light brahma and they are a heavy breed not known for laying, but I'm not sure if she is too fat because she isn't laying and still consuming all that high protein feed. But maybe they need the extra protein for keeping warm through the winter, I don't know. Right now it doesn't get below 45 degrees at night.

The layer feed usually has extra calcium for the layers that are laying. If your birds stop laying, I'd take them off the layer feed and use an all flock feed instead, and supply extra calcium on the side.

All of my hens are on all flock feed since I have a rooster, and they supplement themselves with calcium when needed.

but I'm wondering if I should keep them on the layer feed or switch them to something with less protein.
Usually layer feed has fairly low protein(~16%) and higher calcium(~3-4%).
All Flock type feeds usually have higher protein(~18-20%) and lower calcium(~1%).

I, and many others, feed an all flock, with OS in separate feeder for the active layers who need more calcium.

How old are your birds, in months?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606829454792.png

When I click account details I don't see a place to put my location sorry! My chickens are 8 months old. I'm located in New York City. Seems like a lot of people use an all flock feed so I'll definitely look into that!

Count me with @aart and others, All Flock and free choice Oyster Shell.

and as has been observed, Layer Feed is a low protein (comparatively), high calcium feed. All Flock/Flock Raiser will dramatically cut the calcium and raise the protein a not insignificant amount.

Finally, its my understanding that, as a breed, thee Brahma are not prodigious layers - every other day at best being typical, but they are famed for winter hardiness and for laying over winter, when many other breeds tend to quit. How old is she??? Any chance she is going into molt or suffered an unusual stressor lately??

No, they are not...and they eat a LOT.
Why I got rid of mine....they were sweet birds tho, so sold them as pets to a family with young chiildren .

Yes, yes the do. Not compared to my Ducks or CornishX, but yes, they can eat! They are also my only aerial predator aware birds, and the largest (if slowest growing) of my remaining free rangers - so into the genetic pool with them! Probably my smartest birds, too.

Back
Top Bottom