Layer feed with or without corn???

karenviolin

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2016
First timer to the forums. We have 3 almost 15 week old chickens and I'm looking into purchasing their layer feed. Now they are eating organic grower from Scratch and Peck. They love this feed! They make a layer feed with and without corn and I'm wondering which is best for my ladies. Will one have then laying tastier eggs? Thanks for your help!

Your choice, I hear corn makes a richer looking yolk, I don't know about taste. My start & grow, layers feed and scratch grains are mostly corn, first ingredient on the label, and are not organic. My girls are healthy. They'll be 20 weeks Wednesday. I got 5 eggs from the 5 girls this morning. GC

this is pretty much personal preference to be honest

my hens are getting these feeds layer feed and scratch
http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/prices.html

my chickens were on starter feed 2-3 weeks after they started to lay . then switch over to the current feed.

taste wise.. i can't tell the difference.. appearance wise.. they look the same to me :/

our backyard eggs on left.. store bought on right

Last edited:
First timer to the forums. We have 3 almost 15 week old chickens and I'm looking into purchasing their layer feed. Now they are eating organic grower from Scratch and Peck. They love this feed! They make a layer feed with and without corn and I'm wondering which is best for my ladies. Will one have then laying tastier eggs? Thanks for your help!

The corn is likely replaced with wheat. Not much difference except the wheat will likely produce paler yolks, as a lot of yolk color comes from the pigments in yellow corn. In countries where they feed white corn or mostly small grains the yolk is almost white....

Back
Top Bottom