Layer feed?

Or how else can I provide calcium?
Crushed limestone is used in some countries. I have never used it. I'm an oyster shell dude. $9.00/50# - $5.00/5#, at TSC. Layers feed can be given at 16 weeks for early layers like White Leghorns, sex-links and production reds. 18 weeks for most other chickens. GC

Last edited:
Well, I personally would just give grower/finisher feed, then take their egg shells, crush them and feed it by hand or the way you would a treat, to them. That's what I do, and I have never used ostershell, and never had a chicken with weak shells, or a calcium problem. Research shows its better for them anyway, and the shells ate 98% calcium

It is a good use of egg shells and they are an excellent source of calcium.
However, egg shells are 95% calcium carbonate (CaCO3), not calcium (Ca). Oyster shells, other sea shells and coral contain equal levels.
During digestion, calcium carbonate is broken down into it's basic elements of calcium, carbon and oxygen, then reformulated in the uterus.
Because of the large particle size of crushed oyster shell, it can be an important source of calcium because they are retained in the upper digestive tract longer and reach the calcium absorption sites in the small intestine at night when eggs are normally in the shell gland.
Any additional source of calcium offered, should be in a separate container so hens can pick it up when they feel the need. They may not desire it when one offers it by hand. Plus, my hens would never let me close enough to take anything out of my hand.

Ohhh. So the layer feed just gives them extra calcium!! I'm gunna but out some crushed shells of some sort. Does it matter what kind of shells I put out? I only have clam shells.

My driveway is clamshell, so that is what my hens puck at while free ranging. Just make sure to crush it up. It doesn't need to be powder; more like gravel.

I would be careful putting out your own shells, If you look at the store bought Oyster shells they are all small and rounded and look almost just like the grit. you wouldn't want your hens to get a sharp shell in their throat.You can use egg shells but make sure who heat them well and crumble them.

To keep it simple....This is what I was taught to do....With mixed age flocks I wait till the older birds are 18 weeks old and introduce Oyster shell...I continue to feed Grower till the youngest birds are 18 weeks old and then start layer pellets...
Organ Damage is not worth risking with your younger flock members...
As far as Clam shells go, why not buy a bag of oyster shell? It lasts as long time...

I would be careful putting out your own shells, If you look at the store bought Oyster shells they are all small and rounded and look almost just like the grit. you wouldn't want your hens to get a sharp shell in their throat.You can use egg shells but make sure who heat them well and crumble them.

I don't heat or crumble mine. I give them a quick crush with my hands and toss them down, or toss them step on them. No one's died yet. Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom