Layer feed

conny

Chirping
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Pearland TX
Hi. I'm new to the backyard chicken raising. I pretty much go on recommendation and of course all information I can find here
1f609.png

I was told to switch my 6week old to H and H layer feed. They are free ranging in the garden all day and don't eat a lot of their food anyway. But: if the feed gets wet the flys are unbearable and I cannot take the smell. Even the chicken poop stinks like H and H layer feed (I guess it makes sense). I can't take that. The feed is very meal like. Not much grains to be seen. Now, I have read enough posts and articles to stay away from making my own feed, but is there any layer feed out there that doesn't stink? And shouldn't I have a grower feed rather? Since they are foraging all day, should I just supplement some whole grains? They do get veggies and fruit, too.
Please let me know your recommendation on a not -so -smelly-
1f601.png
-feed. Thank you

Actually you would probably still want 6 week old bird(s) on chick starter until about 8 weeks old, then you can switch to grower. Usually they go to layer feed after the first egg which is usually laid around 19-26 weeks, depending on a number of things.

As for food that doesn't stink, I don't know too much about food brands, especially in the States. It is good that they are getting greens and things though. :)

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks. I still have a lot of starter anyway. Enough for a second batch for sure. I can switch back easily.

Ok. Thanks. I still have a lot of starter anyway. Enough for a second batch for sure. I can switch back easily.

Yeah. I was going to mention, it is best to switch food gradually so it is easier on them. :) Good luck with your chicken endeavors. God Bless.

Back
Top Bottom