Layer Mash Vs. Pellets?

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
What's the difference between mash and pellets, besides the obvious form they come in? Why would one be better than the other or is it just the chickens' preference? I have bantams and I've only given them mash. Today at the feed store they rang up pellets by mistake. I had them switch it to mash, but as I left I wondered why people might use pellets. Input?

It is so funny that you posted this question today. I was going to post the same thing because I just bought feed. I asked at the store and they said that some people say the pellets make less of a mess and waste less feed. I have always used mash so next time I may try the pellets.

I started with crumbles & thought they were wasting too much of it, so I bought pellets and found that they waste MORE of that! Switching back to crumble when this bag runs out.

Tigerlilly,
try adding alittle water to the pellets to soften them up. Your chickens may to small and they may be picking through them to find the smaller pieces. try watchin them to see what size of food they are searchin for, they may also be looking for more of the corn also.

There is better uniformity in pellets and crumbles and they are easily digested by the birds. More energy can be used by the birds and it may improve feed conversion ratios.

With mash, there can be problems with selective feeding. Dominant hens can eat the larger particles leaving the smaller particles and minerals for the smaller birds.

Pellets are usually more expensive though, so any perceived advantages have to be weighed against the expense.

Quote:
All of my chickens are standard sized br, bo & rir--all adults with the exception of the 3 rirs. The feeder I made for them wont accommodate adding water & having it still be functional, but I can probably take a different pan an try some with water in it. Thanks for the idea; I still have a little less than 25 lbs or so!

Back
Top Bottom