Layer Mash

MTP55

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Thumb of Michigan
We have fed our chickens Purina layer crumbles as long as we've had them. Except when they were on the starter feed. Today I went to the local elevator to see what they had to offer that was similar as TSC is going to get very costly for us to feed from soon with over 50 birds. We can save about 50¢ per bag through the elevator. And save tax if I register my EIN with them for my farm. For today though I brought home the elevators home brewed mash. It was a little over $4 cheaper but I know it's a little different. I use feeders I made from trash cans with 3" PVC elbows. Would I have any issues with the mash in these feeders? I know alot of people wet theirs and then feed daily but that won't really work well for us.

Small mills do not have the expensive equipment to pelletize feed so they can only offer it as a mash. My problem is my adult birds make a mess with it and have trouble picking it up. My solution is to ferment or wet. For 25 birds it's no more work. I do prefer to buy local and super fresh feed but wetting is the only way to make it work for me. With 50 birds, the amount of trash the feed bags generate is overwhelming. Inquire about buying your feed in bulk. The mill will sell feed in totes typically 500-2000#. Will save another $.50/bag or more.

Small mills do not have the expensive equipment to pelletize feed so they can only offer it as a mash. My problem is my adult birds make a mess with it and have trouble picking it up. My solution is to ferment or wet. For 25 birds it's no more work. I do prefer to buy local and super fresh feed but wetting is the only way to make it work for me. With 50 birds, the amount of trash the feed bags generate is overwhelming. Inquire about buying your feed in bulk. The mill will sell feed in totes typically 500-2000#. Will save another $.50/bag or more.

That was my next thing I was going to ask them out there. They do custom mixes as well but only in bulk. Thank you.

I ferment but have a much smaller flock so crumble makes a fermented mash and there is less waste from spillage. I put mine because my flock is small in a Fleets Farm 5” hanging feeder and it works. Nothing gets stuck. For sure it’s easier to serve a wet mash in open plain black rubber bowl. It might be difficult to get through a PVC feeder with an elbow but can you make an open trough around base of trash can so mash can work. It does save on spillage. If fermented two- three days it saves on feed and provides more nutrition. Just do what works best for you. My girls will be on layer mash switching from starter grower crumble as well. I will probably still ferment and hope they like.

Ok. The way my feeder it set up is the elbow is angled down to the bottom inside of the can. That way it's gravity fed and contained inside. No feces, no rain issues and no chickens throwing it around.

IMG_20181106_152817015_HDR.jpg
This is my local elevators mash. I have yet to compare to the Purina label. Can anyone see what it may be lacking if anything? They're a pretty solid company, they feed every animal type here.

Attachments

• IMG_20181106_152817015_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181106_152817015_HDR.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom