Layer pellets & scratch?? Less eggs or more?

Pics

chkncrazy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
Hi guys,

I have a odd question I guess Ive had chicken's for many many years but have never fed scratch grains, have just given them a layer pellets and occasionally bought small 5lb bags of cracked corn and gave it to them here and there they also free range, I've had chickens now that don't free-range because I lost some to Predators but they have a big run. Someone gave me a 50 lb bag of scratch grains so I give them a pan of layer pellets and a pan with some scratch grains at first they weren't touching the scratch now they seem to be eating the scratch grains and not the layer pellets as much and my egg production has gone down considerably, just need some suggestions on whether I should withhold the scratch grains until they eat the layer pellets or just give them to scratch grains occasionally?

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

My birds won't lay when it gets too hot
I think that may be the case also I've heard that if they get too fat they don't lay as well and mine are actually a mix of Dixie rainbows or red rangers that were original meat birds I held back as dual purpose they're about eight pounds or so at 8 months old the Leghorn is laying normally and so is the Whiting true blue which is basically a leghorn that lays blue eggs and I production Rhode Island red and Easter Egger which are older are laying a couple of week....

I give a mixture of both, more strach than layer they eat more it it.. Egg production is great... 8 to 12 eggs a day i have 12 hens
Great tip... I've also been experimenting with layer pellets I've always fed blue seal layer pellets and have been experimenting with a generic one from Tractor Supply not dumor.... I think it's called production Pride or something like that and it's actually very good nice and light colored and has a good smell to it very close to Layena and blue seal...way betterbthan dumor.

Scratch isn’t meant for a complete feed when birds aren’t free ranging... it’s meant to throw down so the chicken will “scratch” and pick at the ground and should really be used just as a treat. There won’t be enough protein in it. I’ve just started experimenting with mixing my own feed and it’s been eye-opening!

Scratch isn’t meant for a complete feed when birds aren’t free ranging... it’s meant to throw down so the chicken will “scratch” and pick at the ground and should really be used just as a treat. There won’t be enough protein in it. I’ve just started experimenting with mixing my own feed and it’s been eye-opening!
That's what I thought as well, I was going to mix it with the layer pellets and see if maybe they'll pick up the pellets as well... I think I'll just throw it down later on in the day

Back
Top Bottom