Layer pellets & scratch?? Less eggs or more?

Pics

chkncrazy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
Hi guys,

I have a odd question I guess Ive had chicken's for many many years but have never fed scratch grains, have just given them a layer pellets and occasionally bought small 5lb bags of cracked corn and gave it to them here and there they also free range, I've had chickens now that don't free-range because I lost some to Predators but they have a big run. Someone gave me a 50 lb bag of scratch grains so I give them a pan of layer pellets and a pan with some scratch grains at first they weren't touching the scratch now they seem to be eating the scratch grains and not the layer pellets as much and my egg production has gone down considerably, just need some suggestions on whether I should withhold the scratch grains until they eat the layer pellets or just give them to scratch grains occasionally?

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Scratch isn’t meant for a complete feed when birds aren’t free ranging... it’s meant to throw down so the chicken will “scratch” and pick at the ground and should really be used just as a treat. There won’t be enough protein in it. I’ve just started experimenting with mixing my own feed and it’s been eye-opening!

I try to be fair with my prices. This is a hobby for me and helps pay for some of my and may changes I keep making on the barn for the feathered friends. For example I sell hatching eggs for $10 a dozen. And if your not happy or don’t have a good hatch rate I’ll make it right . Even though I can’t control people’s hatching ability.
Reach out whenever you like I’m usually on.
I did an addition in Durham yes your out in the middle of no where.lol
Thanks!!!!!! And i heard alot of roosters hatched this year...

Scratch isn’t meant for a complete feed when birds aren’t free ranging... it’s meant to throw down so the chicken will “scratch” and pick at the ground and should really be used just as a treat. There won’t be enough protein in it. I’ve just started experimenting with mixing my own feed and it’s been eye-opening!
That's what I thought as well, I was going to mix it with the layer pellets and see if maybe they'll pick up the pellets as well... I think I'll just throw it down later on in the day

Scratch doesn’t have enough protein in it. It isn’t a complete feed. Give the scratch later in the day, when they’ve eaten more regular feed. Heat and hydration also impact laying. Do they have several water stations and is the water cool, and not in the sun?
Yes I have 8 chickens right now and there's 2, 1 gallon(maybe 2 gallon) waterers in the shade.... I'm going to withhold the field until later on also sometimes I've noticed if I wet the pellets they eat it like crazy sometimes I do that as a treat so they clean up the rest

I'm also in CT and yes, it is getting quite hot. I have no in practice experience with chickens (they're coming on Tuesday! :celebrate) but from what I have read scratch is not meant to be food, but should be a treat. I know of a farm that sells chicks and started pullets-they're a bit pricey though. Here's a link: https://www.clarkfarmbusiness.com/chickens-for-sale
Oh i have heard terrible terrible things about that place...and it has horrible reviews.. it's not even a farm when you get there at the house with no property just check out the reviews yeah, I know better know so glad you're joining in on the chicken Journey I've had them for 28 years on and off and it's so rewarding and great! Congratulation

Back
Top Bottom