Feeding too many treats??

caseymgc18

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
Hello! I am new to chickens, have had them for under a year. I have four laying out of my 43. They are Barred Rocks, and they lay around 3 every day. The eggs seem to be very strong, deep orange, and taste amazing! But, I have noticed they have barely been touching their Pellet feed. I get Kalmbach Layer feed pellets, and they were eating Poulin Layer feed previously. I have been feeding them a couple of handfuls of meal worms, once in the morning, and once at night. As well as giving them around two cups of Scratch. (Cluck and Co Scratch and Grain). Should I be concerned? Switch back to old feed? Slow down on the treats? Continue to do what I am doing? They always have a free container of Oyster shells, and fresh water. It is Winter, and they have eaten any and all green life in and around the run. So other than what I am feeding them, they are not really getting anything else for food. Below is a picture of my babies!
28d732d6-fb30-4657-8749-4dea932163ee.jpg

I really don't measure it out for my chickens since I have so many. But I would say that is lot of treats. Not saying that your chickens should not have any to barely any treats per day, some treats is a good thing. It can help your chickens to feel more comfortable around you and that you are friend - most of the time the way to a chickens trust and heart is through its stomach or crop that is! I think we will all agree with that! 😆😂

Most likely because they're not laying much. The other stuff you're feeding them is no big deal. Im guessing you live where days are getting shorter so your hens are roosting in the dark longer and dont need as much feed.
They are currently laying 3 eggs out of the 4 every day! It is getting dark around 4pm, but I have them on timed supplemental light.

I really don't measure it out for my chickens since I have so many. But I would say that is lot of treats. Not saying that your chickens should not have any to barely any treats per day, some treats is a good thing. It can help your chickens to feel more comfortable around you and that you are friend - most of the time the way to a chickens trust and heart is through its stomach or crop that is! I think we will all agree with that! 😆😂
Agreed! They do love me, and come running as soon as I am near by. I just want to make sure they are getting the actual nutrients they will need to stay strong and warm through the winter, and to keep their shells strong.

I have four laying out of my 43. They are Barred Rocks, and they lay around 3 every day.
Just to make sure I understand the numbers:
You have 43 chickens.
You are getting about 3 eggs each day, but you think 4 chickens are actually taking turns doing the laying.
So that would mean you have 39 chickens that are not laying.

Is that right?

...around two cups of Scratch...
If you have 43 chickens, and you are giving 2 cups of scratch each day, that works out to less than 1 tablespoon of scratch per chicken per day, which should not be a problem.

If you actually have 4 chickens, and the "43" is a typo, then 2 cups of scratch would be way too much. 1/4 cup of total treats per day would be much more reasonable for 4 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom