Feeding treats.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
I give my hens (7) a single serving size yogurt container of scratch in the late afternoon since I here corn creates heat in them for these long cold winter nights. Now I have 2 that must be going through a soft molt since the 2 lost feathers on the back of there neck and tail feathers ( i see new feathers on the necks). I feed a 17% layer feed and want to boost there protein to help the couple through the molt. I bought black oil sunflower seeds for a boost in protein, is giving them a half a cup or so of them in the morning going to over do it on treats? I went to get allflock yesterday and they had none.

I went to get allflock yesterday and they had none.
Keep looking for a higher protein feed. In the meantime,
want to boost there protein to help the couple through the molt.
cut out the scratch, as it is lower in protein, so you are "diluting" the amount of protein they're getting.

BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) has a lot of protein (29 grams in a cup) but a lot of fat too (72 grams). (Quick google search)

Look for "Calf Manna" where you get your chicken feed. A small bag is plenty! I have given that as a protein boost for molting chickens. A 1/4 cup scoop, mixed with a cup of their regular feed, wetted into a mash, and they LOVE it. This is plenty for 7 birds. I added the calf manna about 3x a week.

I have not been able to find the small (10 lb) bag, and it lasted me 2 molt seasons. I don't want to buy 50 pounds. :(

Another protein boost is canned fish. Tuna or salmon are readily available. Look for cans with as LITTLE salt as possible.

Since your reason for the scratch is heat through the winter nights, it may be helpful to know that their layer feed will generate just as much heat.

Something some people don't think about is being well hydrated will help them avoid frostbite. That helps the blood flow through their combs. Well, all over but the combs are usually the most vulnerable

I'd cut back on the scratch and sunflower seeds. I'd make of mix of 1/3 scratch, 2/3 sunflower seeds, and give no more than a handful of the mix as their daily treat. To get their protein up, either switch to a higher protein (20% type feed) or, better yet, give meat scraps, insects, or even cat food as a daily treat. My chickens go crazy for sardines and tuna.

when it is said that corn gives heat, it doesn't mean it keeps them warm. Corn has a high carbohydrate content, so it gives a boost of energy. It is fine in a mix, but I would nix the extra corn and use the sunflower seeds as a treat. Not a lot.

get them off the layer feed and back onto a higher protein chick feed with oyster shell on the side. Mine have thrived this winter after putting them onto a 22% chick feed.

Back
Top Bottom