Layer pellets vs. egg laying mash

beach livin'

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Manteo
is there any difference? was told i need to feed a specific egg laying mash for my birds to lay eggs. never heard of it, so i thought id come to the experts
wink.png

my girls do not like pellets AT ALL so its supposed to save money from loss from spillage and scratching.. I ended up having my son take the bag and smash it all with a mallet to get it crumbly...

here's what I feed..
I mix it all up of course.. this last my 26 birds about a day and half. and I separate it to different feeders ( but they all free feed together)
(OH what i use to scoop... I use a cereal bowl just a normal bowl)

3 scoops crumbles
2 scoops scratch Grains ( not just corn)
2 scoops laying mash
2 handful's of black oil sunflower seeds
4tbs poultry conditioner ( there is a measuring cup in the bag)

they have oyster shells free feed
grit free feed

goodies are something healthy everyday at goodie time, this lets me check each one separate and give each of them individual attention.. they all come to their names and love to be held, even the roosters.. because they uses tree branch roost I always check their feet everyday for splinters.. they have come to love the foot message.. hahaha .. like I said spoiled little flockers...

I was asked why I do crumbles and mash.. well my birds are spoiled and they like it. when its mixed in I know that its being consumed and its easily digested. the scratch they pick out what they want so I don't worry about it being too much..

I had recently gotten some birds at a chicken swap and oh my gosh.. got them home, skinny as rails. dull, dry, course feathers.. the difference in was crazy my girls are slick as satin, great bright color, good weight without being too heavy, bright eyes and wonderful eggs.. It has taken about a month to get the swap meet chickens to where they are getting silkier feathers better color and are gaining weight ( I did also worm and de- parasite their little bodies) still not to after pic yet.. soon..

some people think maybe I feed too much or not necessarily need the ingredients i mix but I have seen the results of good feed rations and happy hens lay more than dull unhealthy birds.. I figure...

good luck )O(
Pink

Oh ps.. by doing the mixing this way I have found that my feed bill is actually lower than buying a bag or two a week of just crumbles. a bag of each, will last me a good 2 - 3 weeks and that's keeping the feeders full.everyday. ( the only expensive ingredient is the black oil sunflower seeds )

First, the feed does not make them lay, it merely provides them nutrition when they lay.

Pellets cost more money because the mill or feed company must pelletize the feed. That step costs a bit. However, pellets are convenient but the ingredients used to make mash, pellets or crumbles can be identical. It is merely the "form" that is changed.

I feed the mash because it is cheapest, by far. To eliminate waste, I pour some water in the feed bucket and stir with a stick or paddle. The result is virtually identical to crumbles. They hens love it. I'm happy because I am saving $4-$6 a hundred on feed costs.

Pellets and mash are exactly the same thing. The mash is pressed into a pellet.

There should be a lot less waste with the pellets because they are easy to see on the ground and pick up after they've been spilled out of the feeder. Mash tends to disappear into the ground.

Back
Top Bottom