Layer pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Patoot, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Hi there.

I got layer feed for the first time yesterday. I told her I wanted layer pellets. When I got home, I saw it was a 16%. Is that okay? Do I need 22%? Two of my 4 are laying, but the other 2 are well over 20 weeks so I think it's okay that I finally switched. None are thrilled with the pellets, but I'm hoping they get used to it. I'll give it a couple days and if they won't do it, I'll go get them some crumble, or smash these bits. [​IMG]

Bree

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    16% is normal for laying feed.

Mine took a while to get used to the pellets - I thought they were never going to start eating them! They were wasting too much crumble, so I was adamant they were switching to pellets and they eventually started eating them and everyone is happy now - even my tiny Seramas handle the pellets just fine.

3. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    They aren't eating it at all. I think I'm smash some and mix in the full pellets. Poor things...they are looking for their old food. I have some left, but I'm trying to get them on the new stuff. Silly chickens.

Bree

4. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    How long did it take them to eat it?

Bree

5. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    mine started out at 20%. The bird would not eat it also. Bought another brand and it was at 15 % for some reason they can not get enough of it. At the time i fed the 20% to the turkeys who love it......jim

6. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Mine said no to the pellets at first, they ate a small amount. But after about a week or so, they are eating them up. Give it time, they'll get it. I was having a problem with them wasting so much crumble as well.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    This is what I do and have never had a problem. I mix what protein feed I have left in sob the pellets. They have always eaten it. Hope this helps and good luck.

8. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Are they gonna starve in the mean time?

Bree

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:A chicken will not starve themselves to death if appropriate food is available. They are just stubborn and don't like change. If I were you, I'd leave them on the pellets and cut out all treats for a few days. They get hungry enough, they'll decide that the pellets taste mighty good.

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:A chicken will not starve themselves to death if appropriate food is available. They are just stubborn and don't like change. If I were you, I'd leave them on the pellets and cut out all treats for a few days. They get hungry enough, they'll decide that the pellets taste mighty good.

I agree, they get hungry they are gonna eat good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by