Layer's Mash Questions - Updated

marbekschicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
PA
Wanted to ask before going to the mill. They said to put my 12-1/2 week old silkies on layer mash. It is like a powder. Is that ok? Can I feed it to them dry or do I need to mix it with something [what?]

UPDATE: I ended up going to TSC and getting the Dumor Starter/Grower for them since I had to have something immediately and the mill wasn't open until Monday. Still need to know since I have 24 weeks olds not laying yet but on it: the layer mash is like a powder. Can I feed it to them dry or do I need to mix it with something [what?]

Last edited:
Feed specially formulated for older pullets has about the same protein as layer mash. What the layers need is more calcium since they are producing egg shells (calcium carbonate). There's waaaay more calcium in layer feed than there is in grower or starter - too much for young bodies to use or safely eliminate.

Mash should be the same composition as crumbles or pellets, nutrition-wise. Some people mix water with it but I wouldn't do that unless the birds can clean it up immediately.

. . . my 2 cents, and I hope that helps.

Steve

Thank you for replying. I expect the older ones to start laying soon with being 24 weeks old from what I have read.

As for the silkies that are 12-1/2 weeks old, I will keep them on starter/grower until they are at least 1 weeks old.

I like the crumble better than the mash. I was afraid that the powder mash would cause them to get impacted crops. I ran out of the starter layer and went ahead and started feeding my 15 week old girls purina layena.

I would use crumble but there is a $5+ price difference. I will have a total of 17 eating layer in about 5 or 6 weeks. At $5 more for 100 lbs. I prefer the mash if they will eat it fine. I also provide small containers of grit and oyster shell for the older ones but haven't noticed much if any being eaten.

Quote:
I think Purina, sells all the types for the same price. And if were me, I would spend the extra $5.00 and get the crumbled. You'll get less waste and they can eat it at will. Plus, if it is that fine I would be a little Cautious about the birds inhaling the mash. Since I don't know how fine it is or what brand you're buying, it is hard to tell you for sure.

According to an email I got from Tractor Supply Company they are going to start selling Purina. I hope it compares well in price to the Dumor.

From what we were told our older ones are now 25 weeks old. We have 5 girls and a loud boy. We have not gotten one egg.

I now have over 100 lbs. of layer mash sitting here. They aren't really eating it and do prefer the crumbles we have gotten. I'm still not exactly sure how to mix it up to feed to them. I need to know what consistency to make it and about how much to make for 5.

Thank you for help in advance.

Back
Top Bottom