Layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NFDing0880, May 7, 2008.

1. NFDing0880

NFDing0880 New Egg

May 5, 2008
    What would be a smallish breed of chickens that still layed a fair amount of eggs? I think my mother would feel more comfortable getting chickens if I started with a smaller breed.

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    As far as I am aware Egyptian Fayoumis are pretty small. The mature very early, roosters will crow as early as 2 weeks and hens will start to lay eggs around 3 - 4 months of age. I have been told they lay decend amounts but are flighty birds.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Depends on what you mean by small. Leghorns are a fairly petite bird and lay tons of big white eggs. However, most people say they are very flighty. Mine are precious cuddle buns though. I absolutely love them.

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    My friend has 8 Brown Leghorns. I would call them medium in size and they are very nice young hens. They are egg laying machines too.

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Bantam Rhode Island Red & Buff Orpington gentle & lay a a nice size egg for bantam! (lots of small egg you would buy in store)

Golden Sexlink are about 4lb & gentle (lay lots of large to extra large egg)

6. NFDing0880

NFDing0880 New Egg

May 5, 2008
    thanks very much. i think ill take a look at some brown leghorns, my friend has some and they are very friendly. hopefully mine will be the same way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by