Layers

11langenkamp_w

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
sidney, ohio
I have white rocks, barred rocks, golden comets, and black sex links what other breeds would be good to get thats feed efficent and good layers , that lay brown eggs?

Australorps, Red Sex-links and Orpingtons.

I think that all chickens pretty much eat the same amount of feed (well, Bantams eat less) unless they are free ranged and have access to that type of extra food. Although you could probably say that smaller standard size chickens eat less, I just don't think it would be highly noticeable.

My RIR's have been quite the good layers! I would also recommend all of the Orpington breeds. None of mine have started laying as of yet, but the eggs that I hatched them from were HUGE! I can't wait for them to start laying.
smile.png

Quote:
Wasn't that way with mine. We had 3 Lehgorns and 3 BR. The BR all turned out to be roos, so we gave them away. I have one of those hanging feeders (I think it's 3-4 cups), used to dump a big cup in every night. Since the BRs left, been filling it every 3 or 4 days. The Leghorns eat much less. Smaller size chickens = less food.

Back
Top Bottom