Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 11langenkamp_w, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    I have white rocks, barred rocks, golden comets, and black sex links what other breeds would be good to get thats feed efficent and good layers , that lay brown eggs?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Australorps, Red Sex-links and Orpingtons.

I think that all chickens pretty much eat the same amount of feed (well, Bantams eat less) unless they are free ranged and have access to that type of extra food. Although you could probably say that smaller standard size chickens eat less, I just don't think it would be highly noticeable.

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    rhode island reds/jersey giants

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My RIR's have been quite the good layers! I would also recommend all of the Orpington breeds. None of mine have started laying as of yet, but the eggs that I hatched them from were HUGE! I can't wait for them to start laying. [​IMG]

5. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:Wasn't that way with mine. We had 3 Lehgorns and 3 BR. The BR all turned out to be roos, so we gave them away. I have one of those hanging feeders (I think it's 3-4 cups), used to dump a big cup in every night. Since the BRs left, been filling it every 3 or 4 days. The Leghorns eat much less. Smaller size chickens = less food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by