Laying 2 eggs at a time?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jencleg, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I went out about 2 hours ago to check on the crew, and noticed that my husband had not filled their water up like I asked him to, as they were out yesterday. I looked for an egg in the nesting box & it was empty. I chalked it up to being out of water for a day & 1/2. (I will handle him later ) [​IMG] So I gave them water, filled up the food, and loved on them for a minute before going to do other chores.

I just went back out there & there were 2 brown eggs! I only have 1 BR hen, the others are bantams. Could she lay 2 at a time?? So confused! [​IMG]

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    How did they go that long without water if you knew yesterday they were out? We're you gone until you came in 7 hours ago?

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Is Is possible one was hidden/buried?

4. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I was leaving for work when I noticed they were almost out of water. I told my husband to please give them more water. That day, I got off work @ 5, went to my daughters softball practice @ 5:30. I got home @ 9:00. Had to fix supper, bathe 2 kids and get them to bed. I leave for the next morning before the sun comes up. Work till 4:30. Come home and then I realize that they were still out of water.

5. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Sounds like you need a large tank waterer.

6. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I have had a hen do that. It's not common, but it can happen. Don't feel bad about the water thing... it happens!

7. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Thank you. [​IMG] I didnt realize that the focus would be more on me being unfit, than that of a freaky hen that lays 2 eggs at a time.....

8. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My hens have been without water too. Which is why I took steps, like a larger waterer. It happens more than most would admit to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by