Laying and winter questions

Jjncr

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2018
Good afternoon! I have 4 Reouns and 3 WH. They're 5 months old. First, they suddenly decided not to come into the pen at night. So they are spending the night outside. It's been wet and damp, and about 40 degrees at night. Will they be alright? They seem to be.....

Also, do they normally lay before spring at this age? What are some signs I can look for? I'm guessing I should get some nesting boxes ready but I honestly don't think they'll use them.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. I'm in MD, on the East Coast, mild winters here usually.

Hiya! I heard most ducks are okay till 20 degrees Fahrenheit! However, their feet can get frost bitten and that could result to the loss of a leg. It’s getting pretty cold here (30 degrees) and we have a heat lamp on at night, to ensure some form of warmth. As for laying, I have no idea... My Pekin female is 6 months and not laying! Good luck!

Good afternoon! I have 4 Reouns and 3 WH. They're 5 months old. First, they suddenly decided not to come into the pen at night. So they are spending the night outside. It's been wet and damp, and about 40 degrees at night. Will they be alright? They seem to be.....

Also, do they normally lay before spring at this age? What are some signs I can look for? I'm guessing I should get some nesting boxes ready but I honestly don't think they'll use them.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. I'm in MD, on the East Coast, mild winters here usually.

Heat is not necessary as long as they have a well made ventilated house with fluffy bedding to snuggle down into. If you leave your ducks out over night with out protection it’s only a matter of time till they will all be gone . Predators natural food will be hunkering down for the winter and that means duck hits # 1 on a predators menu.

Temp wise, they will be fine.. mine rarely take shelter if they do it must be BAD out. But ML is right, preds will happily look at your pets as a drive thru meal if they are not protected properly.

Most of my ducks stop laying in the fall and resume in spring... i think my one pekin is still laying a wee bit but with the winter coming(snow today!) doubttful for much longer.

Good afternoon to you too! I would try with treats and herding to them back in there coop so they can stay warm and cozy. Have your not lay yet? If not they should have already and might not because of the cold...they will probably start in the spring. Nesting boxes...you don't have to use. Mine lay on the ground and bury them...I just have to look for them.

Im gona usenmy birds as comparison in regards to ur question. I have 2 nhr and 4 white leg. The nhr were born mid May and the legs 4 weeks later. I had your same concern but one nhr laid a week after 5 months old and 3 legs a week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks after. Still waiting on another nhr and a leg. This even when our temps dipped into the 20's.
Best to get the nest boxes prepped asap to be on the safe side. The sooner the boxes are ready the sooner you can train them to lay in them. Therye gona lay elsewhere thats certain. You dont want to hunt down eggs.
Place a decoy in a box to encourage nest box use. People use various decoys: ceramic eggs, golf balls, ping pong balls etc. I used a store bought egg after the first pullet laid her 1st egg on the floor. The eggs that follow where with the store egg.:celebrate
So yes they should lay in their first winter when they're young pullets even without out supplemental heat.
20181028_095930_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom