Laying at 19 weeks...

ChickieChickMomma

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
Aurora
Hey all, my cinnamon queen laid 2 eggs yesterday....shes only 19 weeks. And nothing today. Is this normal? My other 7 started squatting and have been so loud the past couple days, so I feel like those 7 are on track from what I've heard/read.

I doubt one chicken laid two eggs...you probably had two chickens lay yesterday.
They won't lay daily yet..but they should start soon.
Congrats!

No it's not completely normal. She could have had extra calcium and had to get rid of it. The first couple of eggs a hen lays can hurt a little but after that they are fine. You can't stop them laying, its a fact of life. Some people think that it always hurts them and we shouldn't eat their eggs, but in reality, we can't stop them or discontinue THEIR reproduction/dudded eggs. If after a while, the hens are still loud and in pain, it could be a problem. Honestly even though the two egg day isn't normal, you could just have unique chickens lol. :plbb Hope I helped.

It will take a little while for her system to be efficiently pumping out eggs, and they will get bigger too. Your other girls do sound like they are close as well. You'll soon be searching for recipes that need lots of eggs, you'll have so many!

I have never bought added calcium for my chickens. I feed a complete feed daily and all my girls lay just fine.

Back
Top Bottom