Laying behavior? 10 wk. old doing the squat.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FuzzyButtsFarm, May 17, 2011.

1. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Wasn't sure where to post this since [​IMG] this is the first batch of chicks since I swithced to Neutrea Nature Wise 18% All Flock. I thought it might have something to do with it.
    I was cleaning the coop when I picked up a pullet that was picking at my feet. Played with her a little and put her down and she did the "squat" so I scratched her back like I do the hens. She then did the "shake" like the hens do after mating. I was floored. [​IMG] Whats up with that???? She's a BO and only 10 wks old [​IMG]

2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Weird maybe shes a "earley bird" [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    It seems really quite early for that. Hmmm. Let us know when she lays her first egg. She could just be practicing? [​IMG]

4. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have a SLW that is about 12 weeks old who has been doing this also for the past few weeks. Seemed early to me too. [​IMG]

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Thanks so much for your replys. I am really stumped. This is the fourth batch of chicks I hatched. The fifth is in the outside brooder. This sixth is still in the hatcher 3 out of 8 have hatched so far.

BYC people ROCK [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by