1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GuineaLady93, Jan 30, 2012.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Right now I have 3 RIR hens, 3 Buff Orpington hens, and 4 Game hens.
    I am wanting to add some more hens to up my egg count. I was wondering what breed I should get to do this.
    Whatever breed it is I want them to lay real big eggs and a lot of them. [​IMG]
    Do yall know of any good breeds for this? Maybe some that will lay 2 eggs a day?
    Thanks,
    Ashley

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The large, brown egg layers used in the industry, would be my advice. They flourish in small flocks. They'll lay you giant brown eggs, and most will lay you 300+ their first year and around 280+ their second year. After that, production will drift downward, of course.

ISA Browns from Townline hatchery would fit the bill nicely. Most every hatchery has a line of hens that they sell to small to medium sized commercial operations. They often give them "cute" names for the retail sales of things. Cinnamon Queens, Red Star, Golden Comets, etc, etc. While the particular "recipe" of each is slightly different and closely guarded "secret", they are commonly known as red sex links. You'd not go wrong with any of them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    x2

4. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Ok, Thanks. I have been wanting to get some new chickens for a while but just didn't know what breeds would be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by