Laying ducks

I got my girls from Metzers.
I have 1 Khaki Campbell, and 2 of what they call "White Layers". I believe they are a cross between a Campbell and Peking. They look like a smaller Peking.
I am getting an egg a day from each!
They also have a breed called "Golden Layer 300". I suppose that means up to 300 eggs a year.

I got mine from McMurray Hatchery. I have 4 Khakis and had 3 drakes (still have 2) even with all the extra breeding those girls do great. I get 4 duck and 2 geese eggs a day from that coop. Also have 3 Chinese Whites and one silly gander. I looked at a lot of ducks before deciding on the Campbells. They forage like a runner, but tend to lay in a nest. My needs for a duck are very garden related, so the duck needed to be able to perform well for my needs. Never saw a single Japanese Beetle on either my raspberries or asparaga, and not a single cuc beetle either. They are awesome foragers. As a matter of fact today is the first day I fed them more than a handful of feed since they were a week old. Crappy snow! Sadly they don't generally go broody, so if I want babies I will have to do it myself or use a chicken. And yes If I want to sit on a duck egg I will and nobody here is gonna say a word.
tongue2.gif

There are lots of good laying breeds.

Khaki Campbells are the champions, but closely followed by Runners, Welsh Harlequin, Golden 300, Oregon some-thing-or-others (can't never remember what they are called). Not far behind is the Silver Appleyard, who is the only good meat duck in the line up.

There are supposed to be strains of Pekin bred especially to be heavy egg layers. So you can get Pekin if you want white ducks and are discriminating in what strain you purchase.

Several of the breeds will out-lay top producing chickens and probably all of the duck breeds will out-lay your average dual purpose chicken.

Back
Top Bottom