Laying eggs all over vs nesting boxes

Thanks once again!! Happyhens1972!! we did secure our fence and this helped big time! was still funny watching 1 trying to get out and under the fence!

My info may help. I have just three ladies, just over a year old. One Rhode Island Red, 1 Barred Rock and 1 Silver laced Wyandotte. Their eggs at one year are distinctly different. The Red lays the largest, darkest, roundest egg, the Rock a slightly smaller, lighter egg in classic shape, and the Silver a med-large, paler, pointier egg.

They mostly lay every day, altho lately the Rock has been more erratic, and today laid a mini egg! Any insight on what might be going on?

They are free range in my yard (grass, garden beds, bushes and fruit trees and under the raised house). They all three use the same nest, even though two others are available - so they do "shift work" when it comes to laying. No idea why they prefer just the one nest!

The darker red combs are a telling sign. If you pet them regularly, actual pet chickes you've messed with and they don't run from you, they will "dance in place" and squat down as you reach for them from behind. This tells you they are laying and "ready for the rooster to have his fun". And like someone said some eggs are visably different. But other than that if it's important to know, then you'd have to seperate the hens by breed or individul.

Back
Top Bottom