Laying eggs all over vs nesting boxes

Edsgirls

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 7, 2014
We have 10 new girls approx. 20 weeks old and kept them in their coop for a week as suggested. We have chicken wired area outside the coop hoping to keep them a little confined (last girls we let free range tore up neighbours garden!) . Anyways only 3 are laying eggs in their nesting boxes and a few are laying on the ground of the coop, some not laying yet (approx. 5-7 per day) They are either crawling under the fence or flying over and I have found eggs under a large rock where she was lying. I know about clipping their wings as I did this with the last chickens we had but being home only a week didn't want to stress them any further. I did capture one girl and clipped her wing and then watched as a white one crawled under the fence, so much for that idea!!!! We have 5 brown and 5 white pullets. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is our 3rd experience and is the worse so far. The other girls were so wonderful laying eggs and going into the coop at night etc. and getting frustrated!!! to say the least! Thanks for your experience!

Firstly, secure your fencing
big_smile.png

Make sure you have sufficient nest boxes...if they are ready to lay but the boxes are full, they will drop them anywhere! Then use dummy eggs in the nest boxes to 'show them the way'.

Thanks and yes I mentioned to hubby he needs to secure fence and I put dummy eggs in with last hens (before this group) and it worked. We have moved and I can't find them I will buy some more dummy eggs for sure. Interesting we had approx. 8-10 hens before and about 5 nesting boxes and they only used 2-3 of the boxes so as a result of that experience we only have 2 boxes this time so maybe need more??? Thanks again!

Should I keep them inside the coop until they start using the nesting boxes so they are not laying them outside???

I have 8 hens from spring 2013, only had to train 1 to use the box. Well this year (2014) we have ... to many... 1 we know is laying will nilly and now my Ladies are following along. We now have an egg hunt each night after closing the coop. Yesterday we got 4 of 9 possible eggs (in the boxes). My older Ladies lay in or out of the boxes will nilly. We were just getting some from the boxes and under the coop (CRAWL SPACE). Now we are finding them in the run! We have golf balls & fake eggs in the original boxes & new boxes. We are even lettinng everybody outside later hoping they lay before going out.
So I don't know what to tell you, I'm in the same boat, and I have 38 new pullets!!
This is so not cool.

Hi Spoiled Birds, wow I feel so much better as I only have 10!! and they are getting much better. A couple are not laying at all yet, but the ones that are, are finally using the nesting boxes but I have to admit I found 1 white egg outside today. What I did for a couple days, as you mentioned, I left them in the coop until early afternoon hoping they finished laying and that seemed to do the trick. But I was watching one brown girl on a mission trying to get under the chicken fence to get out and I mean she was on a mission! Quite interesting to watch. So I thought she wants to get out and lay an egg maybe where she had laid them previously???? So I picked her up and put her in the nesting box and left. After a couple minutes she exited but then I watched her return and she laid her egg in the nesting box. So it will be 2 weeks this Saturday and I have to say they are finally figuring things out. Still a couple haven't laid eggs yet so that may be another story???? The roosting instinct is slowly kicking in but again I'm helping them by placing them on the top board in the coop. So good luck! not sure how long you've had yours but I guess it just takes a while when you think of how a lot of them are raised in a box with no movement etc .and just lay their eggs wherever, until of course we rescue them!!

They are funny critters for sure.
This week we figured out which of the "teenagers" have started laying.
Surprisingly yesterday I got 6 eggs from the boxes and 1 was a pullet egg!
yippiechickie.gif

Where we have a mix of ages, we have the different age group feeds.
(Chick Starter, Poultry Grower/Finisher and Poultry Layer)
Our older Ladies haven't gotten what they need and have slowed on their laying.
We figured this out after an EXTENSIVE search in, under and around the coop and run.
We checked for snakes and even weed eat-ed the run looking for eggs.
The feeder needed filled and that's when my husband found our son hadn't put any of the Layer food
in with the Finisher. Good Grief!!
he.gif
SO we got more eggs going, and since the pullet egg was in the box
with the others I hope we're on the right track now.
fl.gif

Everyone got their 1st dose of a BIG rain storm while they were out on the run yesterday too.
Crazy birds didn't go back inside! Wet chickens are pitiful! It rained so hard that the under coop
area they dust in got washed out! I had to go in the temporary pin and pick the 10 week old Silver Laced
Wyndotts up and stick them inside thru their hole in the wall. (they'd not been out in a sprinkle yet and got hailed on!)
Also another surprise for us... 1 of my Silkie crosses started crowing. No big deal right?
WRONG! Has a pink band on leg and NO WADDLE!!
hu.gif
Was counting as a girl.
So this is my week so far.

Wow you do know quite a bit for sure! let them all out early yesterday and was so happy that they all returned after a few hours to lay their eggs in their boxes except the 1 white egg we found outside. Will see how today goes and yes we had rain here as well and a bit today (we are in Ontario, Canada) The brown/red girls have the laying eggs down now so if the white ones don't may have to keep them in the coop til they get it, plus 2 white not laying yet...still young I guess....nice chatting with you....Kelly

I am confused as to how does one figure out which hens are laying and which ones are not? We have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Isa Browns. The Isa's are 1 week younger than the others, and all are now about 9-10 weeks old. When they are ready to lay, how will we know who did and who did not? Also, does their comb growing and turning red have anything to do with their egg laying time?

Back
Top Bottom