Laying eggs but not sitting

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
My peafowl started laying on March 14th and as of April 1st has laid 6 eggs. I have read that the eggs lose viability after 7 - 10 days and also that she should start sitting after laying 6 - 8 eggs. As I do the math, even if she starts sitting after 6 eggs, at least half of the eggs may no longer be viable. If she ends up laying 8 eggs then even more of the early eggs will not be viable. Is this just the way it is or am I missing something here?

The same thing is happening with me my peahen has laid 9 eggs in a row. She returns to her nest very often and turns them but has not gone broody. She has successfully hatched two clutches in her life and last time there were 5 chicks. I am hoping for the best that she will sit on them. I can not go through the process of using an incubator as i am busy at this part of year although i see incubating artificially as a whole new adventure. Guess i will have to be patient. My advice to u is that u should wait a bit more for your peahen to go broody they can be surprising sometimes. And if does not turn out to be good u can incubate ur self because if they do not go broody they will continue to lay around the season. I have observed some cases mostly on web of peahens sitting on clutches more then 6 or 8 eggs.
Best of luck.......!

Thanks for the advice...I don't have an incubator but I do have a broody chicken hen sitting on 2 week old chicken eggs. I am thinking of taking the peahen eggs and putting under the broody hen, though I hate removing the 2 week old chicken eggs. Guess I have to make a decision here. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the suggestion - I think it just might work or at least it is worth a try. If she does stay broody long enough to hatch out the peafowl eggs, is there a chance I could return her own chicks to her and give the peafowl chicks to my peahen? Or would that put all the chicks at risk of attack from the hens???

Back
Top Bottom