Laying eggs for 8-9 days in a row; NEW EGG LAYER; normal in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenSpa, Dec 27, 2008.

1. HenSpa

HenSpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay. I didn't think this was possible. I have three hens, all just at laying age (2 Rhode Islands; 1 Austra). One Rhode Island started laying a couple of weeks ago, an egg a day, and took her first break (as in no egg that day) on the 8-9th day! And then she started laying again after that day-long rest. Has done 3 eggs since. Is that normal; especially in winter?

Funny thing is, I didn't even have her on protein layer feed when she started. I immediately switched them, though. She's a powerhouse!! OH...also...I DO NOT have a light in their coop.

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Sounds normal. Not all pullets get the memo about taking it easy over the winter. It'll take some time for her body to settle into a regular schedule, but maybe you'll get lucky and have a prolific layer year round. Last winter most of my RSLs refused to take a day off laying, the one who did only took a day off every 10 days or so.

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine started in the cold too! Go figure...
    Enjoy the yummie brown eggs!
    Christina

4. HenSpa

Just got another warm, brown egg! Can't wait until the others start up.

Thanks for your replies. I knew that Red stars and other sex links would do this, but didn't know RIs would in winter, first-time, w/o light. Interesting...

5. HenSpa

Another funny thing: the first 4-5 days, she was laying all over the place in our Henspa (2 level chicken tractor). But most noticeably NOT in the nests that roll the eggs down gently to my egg drawer for easy removal (and less poop on egg; also keeps them from being tempted to eat eggs). I thought it was not going to work out...

...but she "got" it on the 5th-6th day and I've been using that convenient egg door ever since!

6. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    My Black Ostralorp hens that are 6 months old started laying about 3 weeks ago. I get 6 eggs a day. Sometimes they take a break but not very often. And we live in Iowa cold.

7. HenSpa

You know, I'm realizing that some breeds may be from hardier stock than others. I started out with 7 hens that I acquired from a local breeder as pullets. Didn't realize they were sick (I've had quite the time on that front).

One Australorp escaped and went through the fence; dogs got her. But the other 3, that are no longer with us, died from sickness (Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Dominquer...my favorite and my sweetest). They were all smaller and more fragile looking than the 3 that I have left: 2 Rhode Islands and 1 Australorp. These got sick, too, but pulled through and are healthy (although I'm sure they're probably carriers).

Learned an important lesson: buy day-old chicks or incubate your own!!

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I acquired 6 RIR pullets in September. They have all layed almost every day. Of course they take a rare day off, but it is very rare. There are even days when I get 7 eggs.

My girls are in an unheated, uninsulated coop in the foothills of the Sierras, on the Nevada side. Our temps have been getting into single digits on some nights (most nights teens - 20's), daytime highs 20-30. They do not have any artificial light source either.

9. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    My 5 black australorps have been laying very nicely despite the shorter colder days too. This is their first winter, and lately we have been getting 5 eggs a day. So, I don't think it is unheard of for new layers to lay regularly during the winter. I am glad they are, because we have been having quite the demand for the fresh eggs. We need to expand our flock. yay!

10. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    My Barred Plymouth Rock and Buff Brahama laid all winter. I was hoping for that. Those two did not disappoint me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by