1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying eggs from roosting bar

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3 Chicks, Dec 22, 2012.

1. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Hello!

I have relativtely new layers--going on 2 weeks now. One layer goes to the nesting box each time without fail. The other lays from her roosting bar. I know this because I watched her one day and ever since, her egg has been in the same place. So, she lays during the day but wants to do it from the roosting bar. I assume this is a habit I need to break. Any idea how??

Thanks

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Frustrating isn't it? If she is laying them at night her timing is out of kilter yet give her time to work out the time. Having fake eggs in the box helps lure her to use the boxes, again it takes time for her to figure it out. Sometimes it just takes time for young hens to do the job proper.

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    i occassionally find eggs from my hens on the poop board in the morning. It doesn't happen regularly and I just figure their system is out of wack and they don't/can;t get down during the night to find the nest box so they just do it where they are.

I don't know about one doing it daily. Beginners do all kinds of wierd things. I would go with leaving some eggs in the nest to encourage her to go there ( real ones are fine if you don't have golf balls or plastic easter eggs to use) Just mark them if they are real so you don't pick up and eat eggs that are out for days.

Good luck. And congrats on your first eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by